London SE1 community website

Disturbing Thought

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 28 February 2004 10.30am
And pass the curry ketchup!
- interesting "mission statement" at http://www.greggs.co.uk it would appear they have two shops in Belgium with more planned for Germany, France and Spain.

Post edited (28 Feb 04 10:51)
Saturday 28 February 2004 4.32pm
Perhaps I should have described the obese Germans as
members of der Arbeiterklasse. As I have forgotten any Marxist political theory that I might once have read, I can't remember what further degradation is required to become a prole.

I have to admit that the first word that came into my mind before posting was actually "ordinär". Perhaps I am secretly a snob of the same order as Mapmaker!!!
Sunday 29 February 2004 11.19pm
I agree with Sarah that I find it hard to imagine that Gregg's could be successful on the Continent. England had the reputation of the country with bad food, whereas this appears to be untrue. But, the one thing that I find a nightmare in this country is bread.Most of the time bland, sticky sponge. A good, tasty, solid bread with a proper crust is very hard to find and, believe me, I have done my best finding it. I used to cycle to Belgravia to Poilane or Boulangerie Paul to buy my bread. Luckily I found decent bread at Neils Yard in the Bourough Market, but it costs a fortune. Greggs, for that matter, is an insult to 'le metier de boulanger'.
Monday 1 March 2004 12.03am
I don't think they would get away with a sign that says 'product artisanal' like the ones French bakers display. But I still have pride in my heritage.
Monday 1 March 2004 9.36am
Ofourse, Sarah, and rightfully so. It's the bread that I am critical of, not your heritage.
Monday 1 March 2004 10.50am
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that they sell products based on local tastes and that nothing British is offered.
Monday 1 March 2004 11.00am

alan is right - they won't open a Greggs on the continent - they will just buy up a local chain. That is also the most sensible move for them.
Tuesday 2 March 2004 8.33am
Ah, the joys of the infamous Greggs Steak Bake! The Belgians will love it but not quite right for the French palate methinks
Tuesday 9 March 2004 9.09pm
But the Brits have arrived on the continent, for example Debenhams has branches all over Europe, and Tesco is big in the former Eastern Bloc.

Not to defend the globalisation of trade, or crappy "bread" mind you.
Tuesday 9 March 2004 10.30pm
Just realised that Greggs published their preliminary results on 5 March, from which we learn...

"Greggs Continental Europe
Our first two shops on the Continent, at Antwerp and Leuven in Belgium, opened early in 2003. Both have achieved progressive sales improvements after a slow start, as our local management team has worked to refine our product range and retail format, and to build consumer awareness. We have always viewed this as a long-term, low-risk experiment to determine the potential of the Greggs concept in Continental markets. This learning process will continue in the current year, when we expect to open at least two more shops in Belgium."

So Germany can sleep safely for a little while longer...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions