London SE1 community website

Sailing at Westminster Boating Base?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 23 March 2004 4.11pm
Great.

JoJo. What's the bonus with doing women's sailing? I saw that and thought it odd (do women sail differently from men?? I'm hoping NOT to use my dangly bits in any capacity. Please warn me now if I'm in danger of having to expose myself to both embankments, and I'll get an especially bushy merkin {HOORAY!!!! Use of "merkin" in ordinary conversation}), but I'm sure there must be some reason behind it.

redbus. If you can sail already (I'm guessing, but assume you have to have a level 2 cert to take a boat out like in other places), then they do evening sailing in the week for only 10 for 3 hours apparently. If anyone's interested, I'll post some more when I start the course.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 23 March 2004 9.19pm
Ivan,

No-one warned me about any dangly bits either - I assume they just got some funding from somewhere to encourage more women to sail. I have no objection to doing the course with women/men/anybody, but you can get a huge price concession on the women's one, and also its slightly less intensive - 6 days rather than 3 weekends - which suits me better.

For anyone else interested, they've still got room on all their courses this year.

I'm just in love with the Thames with all its mud, tides and history, everything about it. Seen people from time to time sailing dinghies or gliding along in canoes at dusk, and I want to join them and get to know London from all its unusual angles and aspects.
Friday 26 March 2004 1.14pm
Good luck Jo.

Hope to see you there. (I can say that safely, now I know it doesn't involve display of danglies;0)

(Can I take action against whoever's subsidising women on the grounds that it's sexual inequality? Glad for you that it's cheaper though...just wish it was cheaper for me too)
Saturday 27 March 2004 9.13am
Yes it does seem a bit unfair now you mention it. Never mind, life's unfair, roundabouts and swings and all that. I think we are both lucky to be able to do it at all - expecting some day in the health-and-safety-obsessed and litigation-conscious future when dinghy-sailing on the Thames is banned, along with fireworks, cycling on the road and breathing. So do it now whatever the cost - thats what I say! (or hide your danglies and re-register as Ivana)
Monday 29 March 2004 9.01am
Ivana!!! Now that's an idea!!!

I could also use that name to reply to dominic's (recent, creepy) post in chatter about laydeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.32pm
Just been on my first day's sailing training at the WBB - fantastic fabulous fun! Love it, and so will you, Ivanhoe. Thoroughly recommended, for anyone else contemplating it. Theory is minimal, you go out for most of the morning and afternoon in dinghies with 2 or 3 pupils and an instructor, and they get you sailing straight away. We were each helming before the first morning was up. The instructors are great, telling you all you need but not too much in one go. It feels very well organised and safe, with instuctors inspiring confidence - even in the first chaotic stages with the boat heeled right over and half full of water, sails and ropes flapping about and a huge rubbish barge approaching worryingly close!

I'm really looking forward to next week's session - but not session 5 when we do the capsize drill (which was inadvertently practised by one boat today in the difficult gusty winds).

Better go and do my homework now - we were sent home with a lenth of rope and some illustrated knots!

Have fun this weekend, Ivanhoe. You may yet need that merkin for the showers! And dont believe anyone who tells you you wont get wet - the 3 sets of dry clothing you're told to bring are very necessary.
Wednesday 21 April 2004 10.36pm
ps. I have to say thanks Ivanhoe, for reminding me about the WBB at just the right time to sign on and do this course. We shall have to go out for a sail together down the river when we've both got our certificates.
Thursday 22 April 2004 8.34am
I've been looking forward to it all week Jo (apart from the fact that I'll miss the Archers' omnibus on Sunday morning).

Will definitely be taking a merkin, if only to help the Cap'n Birds Eye persona that I plan to cultivate (along with tomatoes).

Your write up of your experiences sounds like just what I'm looking for. If I don't catch Weill's disease (!), I hope to see you soon and swap tales of going round Cape Horn over a tot of cider.

Monday 26 April 2004 9.07am
Jo,

GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

(No wind, so VERY sedate attempts at sailing, but) a very sedate potter up and down the river, in pleasant company. And we did capsize drills (the water felt freezing - especially since we were so hot ourselves).

Isn't it a lovely place? I now think I shoudl find a good reason to have a party, because I think the boating base would make a great venue.

Monday 26 April 2004 2.19pm
I'm so jealous of the weather you had. For us it was rain and strong gusty winds. And guess what - more rain forecast on Wednesday, for possibly the only day this week.

I'm still recovering from last wednesday, but looking forward to the rest of the course. So glad I signed up.

There's always some reason to have a party, never be short of an excuse. But start saving up - have you asked about their prices yet? Well worth the money - if you've got enough in the first place.

See you at the Bridge House for further debriefing?
-Jo

ps. Was in Sussex this weekend, saw what looked like tomato plants for sale at the bottom of someone's garden, screeched to a halt to get you one but sadly they were runner beans.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions