London SE1 community website

Sailing at Westminster Boating Base?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 26 April 2004 2.36pm
Not sure whether too much wind is better than too little (we were often scarcely moving, but it did give us plenty of chance to take all our new knowledge v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y).

Thanks for thinking about me and tomato plants, but Mrs I got us all sorted in that area over the weekend, and was then kind enough to let me hump huge bags of compost up the stairs on Sunday after I'd come back from sailing all aching and sunburnt. Bless her beard.

I'm still definitely up for Bridge House ciders on Weds. Hope to see you there.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 26 April 2004 3.41pm
Will do my best to make it, but I was absolutely serious about not being able to walk!
Monday 26 April 2004 3.49pm
Surely a bit of aching can't keep a renowned Thames privateer from her grog?

Just haul yerself down to the Bridge House shipmate, and the good company and cider will have you feeling on top of the crows nest in no time.

Tuesday 4 May 2004 3.29pm
{update for TULMJ} Another great weekend. We had novelty conditions this time (i.e. wind, which had been conspicuously absent from the previous weekend), but we rose to the challenge like the sea dogs we are, and went home on Sunday with naught more injurious to life and limb than some salt spray in our Bird's Eye beards. No poo to report (seems you Wednesday pirates have the monopoly on that so far).

Interesting to note that the crew from WBB had been Googling themselves and had come across this thread. Captain Kevin said he was tempted to play false and put some comments about how great WBB was, but that he decided to belay that on the grounds that it would be too scurvy an act to contemplate. I told him that he's lucky he held hard, because Cap'n James doesn't suffer that sort of behaviour and he'd be likely to find himself strung from the yardarm and dancing the Tyburn jig.

Expect you've had to explain all about your unladylikeness by now. I had an interesting weekend explaining to Kevin how Mrs I got her beard (and then had to explain it again, slowly, to my shipmates as I'm sure they thought I was some sort of psychopath).

The real point of this post is that (in amongst all the other odd things we talked about this weekend), Kevin mentioned that he'd been having a look at a couple of the threads on here and seen that we were keen on discussing (cider and) merkins. That made it the second merkin conversation I'd had that week, which is odd enough in itself. Even odder was that one of my shipmates on the course said "Oh, I know what one of those is. It's an odd word, but I heard it for the first time just a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember where I came across it though."

My theory is that not only is the SE1 website saving the nation from crap posties and spreading the gospel of inner city cidermaking, but that it's also going to be responsible for having merkins on everyones lips. Keep it up, spread the word. Tell them you heard it here first (and it's all Jan's fault).

Tuesday 4 May 2004 3.46pm
Is that a beard Mrs I, or a merkin on your lip?
Tuesday 4 May 2004 3.50pm
Same difference, isn't it?

Tuesday 4 May 2004 4.11pm
I had to come clean about the website to Cap'n Kevin because it seemed as though, having promoted the WBB and all its wonderfulness, I had possibly done myself out of a place on the cheap sailing course: there were loads of places left, but by the time I got round to posting off my application, it was full - they had mysteriously received 6 applications on the same day! We put this down to the LondonSE1 effect, correctly or not (still not sure but now doubt it). Anyway someone cancelled and I got my place, but in the meantime the guys at the WBB had a look at the site and now talk incessantly of merkins.

You're ahead of me now on the course, as I've got 4 sessions to go. Looks rainy again for tomorrow.

regarding the inner-city cider making, I think I've just hit upon a creative connection - see the ciderdelica thread.
Thursday 6 May 2004 9.04am
Ivanhoe, if you are still wondering about any connection between 'dangly bits' and sailing, you will wonder all the more if you have a glance at the statue of The Helmsman in the little park on the way in to the WBB.
Thursday 6 May 2004 3.10pm
Yes. I bet he didn't get a discount!
Friday 7 May 2004 1.51pm
One wonders whether his helmet could be more usefully placed (double entendre definitely NOT intended!).

Good luck with getting your sailing certificate this weekend Ivanhoe. Saturday sounds horrendously rainy. One part of our session on Wednesday was spent moored in the river, the four of us huddled down, sheltering under the not-yet-hoisted mainsail, with whopping enormous painful hailstones pelting down all round. And watching the dead rats, with their little upturned legs, floating down the river, having been washed out of the sewers by the torrential downpours. And people think of sailing as glamorous!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions