London SE1 community website

Sailing at Westminster Boating Base?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 7 May 2004 2.09pm
Cheers Ms Jo. Your weather news has cheered me up so much! (I suppose - now that I've had the handout on weather - I should already have known what was going to happen thanks to daily study of my trusty barometer and bag of pine cones).

Wednesday sounds like two-in-a-row for you. Poo, then rats! Frankly though, I'm impressed you made it there at all. I felt considerably the worse for wear on Weds morning, and all I had to do all day was to sail a desk.

When do we get to do the bit where it's like the video for "Rio"???

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 7 May 2004 7.47pm
I was the worse for wear too, and quite impressed myself for getting there, nearly on time, but with my head in knots rather than knots in my head.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 12.05pm
How do I find out about sailing activities and courses at the WBB? I have the address but is there someone I can phone?

I often see folk sailing the dinghies. How do I join them? Any help very welcome.

The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:

> I was the worse for wear too, and quite impressed myself for
> getting there, nearly on time, but with my head in knots rather
> than knots in my head.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 12.53pm
Neil,

Their website gives telephone number(s). The person who ran the course I did was called Kevin (never thought to ask his surname), but I think that whoever answers the phone will be able to give you good info (as they should be one of the other instructors/employees).

As far as I know, you could turn up at any time the base was open and whoever is in will let you have a look around and will tell you all about what's on offer. General "open" adult sailing/kayaking is Monday nights, starting at 6pm (i.e. changed and out on the water for 6pm).

I'd encourage you to go down and talk to them. From my experiences, they're a great bunch of people and are only too happy to find people who want to get involved. There's a healthy emphasis on safety, and an equally healthy one on learning how to do things properly and having a lot of fun. And, if nothing else, just being out on the river gives you some great (and, often, completely new) views of London.

Good luck. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Tuesday 1 June 2004 2.40pm
Yes, I'll second all that - the place and people there come highly recommended, as far as I'm concerned.

The 'general' adult sailing is on Sun am and pm as well as monday evenings. These sessions are for people who can already handle a dinghy. If you need to get to this stage, look at the RYA level 1 & 2 course that Ivanhoe and I have just done, and you'll be out having a sail within a few weeks.

Good luck and have fun!

-Jo
Tuesday 1 June 2004 2.55pm
Jo,

If you've finished your course, do you want to go out sailing one Monday/Sunday?

There be rich pickings on that there Thames, and the Excise Men are carp.

Tuesday 1 June 2004 5.27pm
Yes, course I would. We can pop a bottle of grog in the anchor bucket, give the safety boat the slip, and go off and have a good time. Yarrr! as Tharg would say. My June is a bit complicated at the moment but I'll email you at work when things sort out. This coming Monday 7th is a distinct possibility. Thats if my aching muscles have recovered by then. I asked Kevin to send round some hunky sailing instructors for a post-sailing therapeutic massage session but they're obviously still arguing about who's coming over.
Tuesday 1 June 2004 10.08pm
Yarrr!
Wednesday 2 June 2004 8.18am
Excellent.

After the 12th, I get busy again (half year), but we should be able to fit a sail in. If you can just give me a couple of days notice, then Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Wednesday 2 June 2004 9.22am
Shall we make a firm date for the 7th then? Will you have to miss the first hour or can you sneak off early?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions