London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 19
Wednesday 5 May 2004 4.32pm
I brought back some Severn Sider, if we can't have it in the Oak, we'll have to sit in the park and drink it.
Wednesday 5 May 2004 4.36pm
not for a day or two, says my shrinking brain

{have just ordered some books on cider making from amazon though. I feel I've told so many friends that I'll be making cider that there's no way out - often a good way to get yourself into gear I find}

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Friday 7 May 2004 8.54am
[just got one of the cidermaking books I ordered]

"Making the press - a simple and inexpensive matter - should be thought of as acquiring a piece of equipment as indispensable to the community in its way as, say, an oven, a radio, or a bicycle.....Once made it will last a lifetime and beyond. It may even turn out to be a family heirloom"

Friday 7 May 2004 9.02am
That is good news.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1219&item=3722723490&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW I've started bidding on this, as it looks very good.

Post edited (07 May 04 10:05)
Friday 7 May 2004 9.32am
That looks fantastic. Just the same as the build-it-yourself model in my book (and at current bid prices probably cheaper than getting the materials and making it yourself).

If you want a co-investor, just say the word.

Friday 7 May 2004 9.41am
Well I've put in a maximum bid of fifty pounds, mindful of having to fetch it back (or paying for carriage). I'm reluctant to go too high as the Home Brew Shop do a very nice 6 litre model for 110 including postage.
Friday 7 May 2004 11.53am
Its very cute. Hope the price doesnt shoot up at the last moment. Even if we dont get it, I'm sure 110 is achievable at our planned cider evening. I'd wondered if anyone had checked out the homebrew shop. Is it still in Pitfield St or has Hoxton got too trendy for homebrew?

The woman from Surrey Docks farm has not rung me again so I shall ring her and arrange a get together - with you two too I guess and anyone else if interested.

Is drinking cider in the park an effort to fit in with the locals?
Friday 7 May 2004 12.31pm
We are the locals!!

RECLAIM THE PARKS!!! STOP THE TIDE OF SPECIAL BREW!! Drink cider in your local park today!!

(Happy to help with bid costs - which we should hopefully be able to get back anyway, if we can have a cider evening and make any money - and/or with transport. Busy for next few weekends, but could press the rustrider into service for a battery-charging trip to Ipswich at, say, beginning of June)

Friday 7 May 2004 1.43pm
Hardly worth it when the postage is 12. Unless you want an excuse for a day out of the smoke. But kind of you to offer.
Friday 7 May 2004 2.19pm
Current: 10 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions