London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 19
Monday 17 May 2004 10.40am
Glad you liked it. I got a spare "bottle" and was going to bring it to the pub (in disguise) on Tuesday to share the fruits of the weekend. If you or Ms Jo can lay your hands on a clean one litre bottle then you can split it. Otherwise you can just fight it out between you.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 17 May 2004 2.09pm
Thats a very kind offer (the cider, not the fight). I was wondering, harking back to a previous thread, whether we should do some of our cider tastings on our local beach, seeing as the evenings are rather lovely these days and theres some suitable tides. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow - and any other willing planners and pressers, advisers and providers.
Monday 17 May 2004 2.33pm
Bloody good idea Ms Jo. That would also allow us to bring along any samples of scrumpy found on our travels. I do love the Stowford Press at the Oak, but now the zummer's 'ere I'm keen to get out and about on weekends and find as much scrumpy as possible.

Alternatively, I did suggest meeting in the herb/tramp park opposite Little Dorrit's church. I know you have a vested interest there (NB I'm not calling you a tramp).

See you on Tuesday

Monday 17 May 2004 3.18pm
*puffs back into thread after enforced work-type absence over last couple of days*

Can do Tuesday, but probably not until about 7:30 / 8pm.

I live near the Royal Oak so can easily stick my head in to see if you are still around at that time. It's even easier for me to see if you are in the herb park (although, taking alcohol in there may not be the best idea - I got quizzed on the contents of my cup of tea a couple of Sunday mornings ago).

;-)

Monday 17 May 2004 3.27pm
Please come along Harriet, it'll be nice to see you again.
Monday 17 May 2004 3.32pm
Do come along, Harriet.

All hands to the presses!!

Monday 17 May 2004 3.44pm
I think that all Stowford is not Stowford. Twice now I have ordered Stowford Press in pubs other than the Oak to be disappointed by an inferior brew. There's a Blackthornish concoction out there masquerading as the real thing and I don't mean coke. Actually it's better than Blackthorn but it's not like the stuff from Tabard Street. Or is it simply that the atmosphere is different? The mind is a sensitive organ and probably fails to respond properly when soaked in Stowford Press, fake or not.

"I knew I was cured"
Monday 17 May 2004 4.15pm
If you look on the Westons site, biro, (can't do links, but Googling "westons cider bounds marcle" should do it) you'll see that the folks have made it deliberately confusing by making about 4 drinks with "Stowford" in the name.

There's Stowford Export (sounds great, but I've yet to taste it), and either 2 or 3 types of "ordinary" stowford press. It's the dry they have at the Oak, but (this is my guess) maybe you were somewhere where they had the medium or the sweet. I think I've had medium in a pub somewhere (obviously I must have been recovering from an illness, or otherwise under par), and been unimpressed by it (a bit like GL. Cider. Better than Blackthorn. But not exactly excellent).

All this is wonderful as a hypothesis, but what I really think should be done is that someone tries to twist my arm into driving up to Hereford for a camping weekend where we can try ALL the types and do a proper scientific comparison.

Tuesday 18 May 2004 9.34am
Ivanhoe.

Click on the address in the address bar. CTRL + c to copy.

Go to the message you are writing. Insert a space, followed by '<'.

Press CTRL + v to paste

Insert a '>' and then a space and continue your message.

Dead easy! Easier than downing a pint of Scrumpy Jack.
Tuesday 18 May 2004 9.36am
Thanks Mapmaker

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gunning/scrumpy/

Let's see if it works

Current: 16 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions