London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 19
Monday 24 May 2004 8.11am
I spoke to the cider man at the Market on Sat.

He didn't seem unkeen about the pub night idea (only had time to introduce the theme), but he did say that he was pretty sure there was a scratter and press (seemed fair sized, the way he was miming it) going round his way (New Forest) for about 150.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 24 May 2004 9.25am
Well we'll certainly need a scratter.....any more details?
Monday 24 May 2004 9.29am
Have a feeling that the press might get smaller and the sum of money bigger. Emma initially said she had 2 presses of 'about 20 litres' each, upon examination turning out to be the smallest available, 6l!

But if its as portrayed, sounds like it could be a problem solved.

Are you going to check out Roots and Shoots this week? They may have a large press already.
Tuesday 25 May 2004 9.09am
If you phone Roots and Shoots ask for Linda or David. The former has been with R&S for a very long time and deserves a lot of credit for the on-going success of the organisation. David is the education officer. You can say I suggested you called.

Basically R&S is a piece of land in the centre of several blocks of flats which now provides carpentry and gardening training for young people with learning disabilities, and educational garden with a newt pond, beehives and more, which provides learning for lots of local schools - my kids' school tried to visit and found that they were completely booked the whole of last summer - a garden centre, community open days with a whole range of activities, and support for the refurbishment of Lambeth Walk Open Space, and possibly some activity in 'my' park. All in an area dominated by poor quality social housing and a paucity of local facilities. Think of all those sad bits of grass which seperate blocks of falts and R&S is a brilliant example of what can be done.

Alternatively someone could send me an email outlining the proposal and I could forward it to Philip the equally inspirational volunteer Chairman. (Three years ago in his role as Chair of the Lambeth Riverside SRB he took a day off work to lobby Lambeth to get them to provide practical support for the campaign to keep Archbishops Park - very complicated politics, but another local hero.) This might work best as the idea might need some consideration and so they might prefer it on paper. Best to outline lots of things like size, likely access etc. Also value as they might be use the donation of a press to bring in match funding.

I did mention it to the Museum of Garden History but there was no interest.

On cider tasting why not simply go to Chimes in Pimlico. Not that far, a very good range of ciders and perrys by the glass and an interesting English menu (pies and puddings) to decent local wine bar standards. They have a downstairs which mainly seems to come to life during the Christmas office party season, and might be willing to reserve a large table there.

Post edited (25 May 04 10:12)
Tuesday 25 May 2004 9.40am
Thanks Sarah. I'll give R&S a call to introduce myself and the idea, but, as you point out, we need to put something on paper.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 25 May 2004 10.38am
Sarah - do they do external gardening ( wrong word to describe the strip outside my back door)

jan
Tuesday 25 May 2004 11.15am
I dont think we're at the 'on paper' stage just now. Dont we just want an initial informal discussion and to establish if theyve got any equipment which will avoid duplication? We shouldnt offer them anything which we've already offered to SD farm.
Wednesday 26 May 2004 8.51am
I didn't mean a formal proposal. However if things are written down and sent in an email it gives the recipient a chance to reflect before giving a response. And frankly, as I discovered with the Museum of Garden History, it is very difficult to expain why a bunch of SE1 residents want to donate a cider press..........

Specifically Friends of Archbishops were fighting against development on our park when Friends of Lambeth Walk Open Space (next to R&S) were fighting for theirs. They had to go to judicial review - and had a Lambeth Planning application overturned. A pretty historic decision. Lots of shared history and so I would be in a good position to forward an email from Ivanhoe and ask for it to be considered seriously.

On R&S doing gardening, I know they have done in the past, at least for communal gardens, so worth asking. Though the skill levels of some trainees is not high. My group also got R&S to do leaflet distribution. Their aim is to allow teenagers with learning disabilities to gain skills that will allow them to gain future employment. Mapreading is one. But the trick is to support their aim. Eg on leaflet distribution if you can help supervise youngsters getting to various addresses, then they can do all the letter boxes. Or if you know people who are perhaps less mobile but could help oversee young people doing the heavier work this will mean less strain on R&S supervisory capacity and wider experience for the trainees.

They also do carpentry. Legend has it that a couple of years back Friends of Brockwell Park got so fed up with Lambeth's failure to maintain benches that they picked them up took them to R&S, got them repaired and brought them back again. All without the Council knowing.........

If anyone who reads to the end of a cider thread has projects where R&S could partner in a way that supports their aims and/or brings them in money I am sure they would be interested. Though plenty of grant money is around at the moment it may not be in the future. (In a target led world, as has happened with the NHS, it is often too expensive to provide training those who will need extensive help - much cheaper to focus on those who need less help. Yet these are young people who will be capable of useful low skill jobs and independent lives and who will otherwise spend years on benefits.) The longer term solution has to be financial viability (which is why R&S are moving to things like educational resources and market gardening) and good long-term community partnerships.

Perhaps the cider press will be just what they need. If not go and buy your Christmas trees there.
Current: 19 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions