London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 19
Thursday 22 April 2004 9.06am
Won't you be sailing to the pub, Ms Jo?

If you draw yourself up to full height, and the light's just right, then they might be tricked into raising Tower Bridge for you and you could moor up alongside Michael's favourite moorings.

For more tips on passing oneself off as a tall ship, Mrs I (fresh from ninja training and now more skilled than ever in the arts of deception) may be persuaded to tell you without having to kill you.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 22 April 2004 7.13pm
I am planning, in due course, to sail to more than a few pubs. However, just at the moment it would be like letting out a tiny tot with stabilisers on their bicycle, on to the motorway.
Friday 23 April 2004 7.31am
UnladylikeJo -
With that analogy, how does the inexperienced sailor improve ?

Start on small puddle, build up over a period of small, but amusing mishaps to lake/ gently meandering river and finally graduate dodging Thames ferries near Greenwich ?
Friday 23 April 2004 7.56am
probably, but fearless Ms Jo has already jumped in straight onto the Thames, so belay and stow that talk ye scurvy goose, or the press gang will be on to you

Friday 23 April 2004 8.30am
Make a note in your diaries, September 19th is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. http://www.thomasscott.net/yarr/
We tried this at work last year and it was extremely popular, so popular that many people carried on talking like pirates for weeks afterwards.
Friday 23 April 2004 8.48am
Ivanhoe is obviously already practising, ready for his weekend on the Thames.

I'm hoping that the same applies to sailing as was mentioned Chess thread, Goosey: if you want to improve, do it with someone better than you. Preferably someone who can take the tiller and take over when the going gets a bit hairy. Thats why I've signed up for a short course, as has Ivanhoe, in case you haven't seen the chatter section. Hopefully I'll be taking those stabilisers off soon.
Friday 23 April 2004 9.11am
Excellent pirate site Tharg. Just don't know if I can wait until September

Friday 23 April 2004 9.33am
Yarrr!

Post edited (23 Apr 04 11:22)
And again by JH on 18 May to prevent link from distorting page layout
Monday 26 April 2004 2.43pm
Looks good (both links).

Are we still on for the Bridge House on Weds?

I can make any time at/after 8pm.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions