London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 19
Thursday 29 April 2004 1.03pm
I see that Westons do a cider that's been conditioned in bourbon barrels, if it's as good as the Thatchers rum barrel, I'll have some. Although as it's a whopping 8.3% it deserves a bit more respect than I gave the Aspalls.
Thursday 29 April 2004 2.48pm
After last night, I can't believe you're already seeking out more cider today.

Respect.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 29 April 2004 4.17pm
Oh, and if anyone is drinking any cider tonight, they may like to raise a toast to the success of the mighty Hereford United who face Aldershot (away) in the first leg of their bid to get out of the Conference and into the Football League proper (again). If you sip slowly and say "Ronnie Radford" a few times, that should work.

Friday 30 April 2004 10.30am
Tharg,

tell 'em about the Perry.

"I knew I was cured"
Friday 30 April 2004 1.43pm
Strictly in the interests of scientific research, myself and Biro tasted a few ciders last night. We tried a bottle of Aspall's dry cider. This was different to the draught stuff on offer in the Bridge House, it has a dryish finish with an aroma of bruised apple skins. This was followed by the previously mentioned, Thatcher's rum barrel conditioned cider. This stuff is extraordinary, with notes of apples, demerara sugar and rum. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so. Next up were two items from Waitrose: Black Fox had a real smell and taste of orchards, its tannins provided a clean, dry finish and was very refreshing; then came the star of the show, a perry. It's not that Dunkerton's organic perry was any better than the rest, it's got to be the star simply because of its rarity. It wasn't strongly ‘peary' but it was very elegant, light on the nose and quite rich tasting. Gewurztraminer sprang to mind. It's worth a boat trip to Waitrose if only to get a bottle of this. I shall see if Ivanhoe or The Unladylike Ms. Jo might sail me there. Finally an oddity from Weston's: Cider With Ginger. Very light at 3.3%, but with a clean, zingy taste, Cider With Ginger (it also contains lemon and orange juice) would be good for picnics, barbecues, invalids and young children. All of the above were served with some truly great pork from Ashby's of Crimscott Street, with musical accompaniment from Biro's enormous and eclectic gramophone record collection, I was particularly taken with the recording of the mammoth carousel organ. These were a very small sample of what's on offer in the supermarkets, there is obviously a market for this stuff, so why don't pubs sell it?

Post edited (02 May 04 23:32)
Friday 30 April 2004 1.47pm
It's all work with you, Tharg. Why don't you take it easy once in a while? This ceaseless researching will give you headaches :0)

Friday 30 April 2004 1.55pm
I'll admit to a little difficulty in climbing from my pit this morning.
Friday 30 April 2004 2.11pm
Would be most delighted to helm to sail you over the river on a cider-hunting expedition, once I've got my boat driving licence in another 4 weeks time.

Even if pubs did sell it, I'm sure it wouldn't be at all the same without the mammoth carousel organ playing in the background, playing on the electric gramophone as you say.

Were all the above-mentioned brews from Waitrose?
Friday 30 April 2004 2.18pm
The Black Fox and the perry were from Waitrose, the others were from Sainsburys. Tesco does a good selection too.
hat
Friday 30 April 2004 4.47pm
Tharg, I feel touched to have appeared in your wishlist - well, either me or a piece of clothing you were after...So even though I don't often drink cider I hope to sneak along for the next cider drinkers event...
Current: 7 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions