London SE1 community website

Ciderdelica

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 19
Friday 30 April 2004 4.55pm
Good, many thanks for your efforts on our behalf, you shouldn't have to pay for a drink in SE1 for a while.
Jon
Saturday 1 May 2004 11.16am
Tharg,

am back at my folks in Worcester now, after going to Ludlow, and Richards Castle. The chap in the pub, thought I was talking about 'Tommy Edwards' - he hasn't been arround for 12 years.

so I couldn't buy cider or fruit wine in 2 litre plastic bottles.

My colleagues laughed.

did have a nice pint of Westons cider though, so not all bad!
Monday 3 May 2004 8.34am
Sorry Jon, I think you're mixing me up with Ivanhoe. After a day spent fossil hunting at Frampton on Severn, yesterday evening I went and picked up two cases of Nick Bull's Severn Sider cider. It's been some time since I've been to Awre, and I'd almost forgotten how beautiful it is there. I stood in his orchard and admired the blossom on his Box Kernel trees, which make up the bulk of his cider, and are peculiar to the village. The cider is made in the traditional way: the apples are pulped and pressed, before the un-pasteurised juice is fermented with wild yeasts and then matured in oak barrels. Now all we need to do is get a press………….
Monday 3 May 2004 9.30am
Especially now that Mapmaker has divulged that he has a friend with an underutilised apple orchard...
Monday 3 May 2004 5.16pm
and that Sarah has offered, or more accurately insisted, that we use her children for retrieving high-up apples...
Tuesday 4 May 2004 8.36am
I had an idea about this over the weekend. Whilst I was becalmed on the Thames, Mrs I hauled to alongside the cider man in the Market and came away with some lovely perry.

They were having a chat and he told her he'd had a good evening in the Oak the night before (Friday).

I wondered if it would be a good idea to sound him (and the Oak) out about having a cider tasting night in the "Mr Chaucer's lovely cider drinking room" (sorry if I've got the name slightly wrong Tharg). We could have cider and perry, there'd be food from the pub, we could see if we could get the cider man to do a bit of a talk, and add a small mark up on cost to raise a bit of cash for a fruit press (that we could use and then, hopefully, put on permanent loan to some worthy local group).

(Sorry to hear about Tommy, Jon. I suppose it was a good while ago that I was last there.)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 10.34am
Brilliant idea Ivanhoe. But do we have someone willing to organise it, get all the ciders etc? Even if we didnt raise the full dosh we would be well on the way.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 10.36am
Best meet up, drink cider, and talk about this.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 11.31am
Happy to pitch in with organising. I'm going to the Oak tonight, and if the landlord is in I'll have a word with him. If he says the idea is a possible goer, then Mrs I has agreed to have a chat with the nice cider man next weekend.

Shouldn't take much organising, but It's highly likely that I'm underestimating the complexity so meeting up to discuss it over some cider would be a very good precautionary measure.

I'll let you all know how I get on tonight at the pub. In the meantime, there were mentions above about a possible city orchard. Does anyone have contact details? I'll give Roots and Shoots a call to see if they have any interest in giving a good home to a press (unless anyone's got better ideas?).

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 4 May 2004 11.41am
How ace is rhubarb?
Current: 8 of 19

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions