London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 79
Thursday 3 June 2004 1.25pm
Cheers Jo - you've blown my cover! I'm at Stanley Towers until Sunday. Well we did tell Emma that we were going to do it there, so I think we should stick to that unless something major happens.
- I've just discovered the local Co-op sells Dutch perry.
Thursday 3 June 2004 2.19pm
I was busy with the Stowford at the time, but didn't get the impression that Emma was incredibly interested (either in giving the press a home, because she - quite sensibly- made the point that she would only be doing individual batches of cider and that only if anyone asked to do it, or in a pressing day with her group - for the same reason). I know she was interested in making some for herself, and she (and any of her group who were interested) could of course join in and press with us, but I got the impression that a bigger press would be a bit of a white elephant to her.

We need to talk about this soonish, because I think I might be working under a slightly different idea from you, Jo.

It's not going to cause a problem, but I'd thought that if R&S (or any other worthy local cause, for that matter) were going to be pressing larger quantities on a regular basis then it'd make more sense to tie up with them.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 3 June 2004 2.56pm
If we obtain the equipment (whether buying, donations or whatever) and pass it onto another organisation, then we would have to come up with some basic rules to cover:

who would actually own it;

who could use it and when;

what would happen if the people who we passed it onto decided they didn't want it etc, etc.

I don't mean dreaming up something overly complicated, but I imagine we'd be pretty nerked if we passed it all the equipment over but then found we were prevented from using it (or the people we passed it to then decided they couldn't use it any more it, but we refused to take it back).

That kind of thing is where I could probably make a useful contribution.

There's no reason why we couldn't dontate to RnS on condition that City Farm get a turn or two or vice versa, to keep everyone happy. I agree with Ivanhoe, that we should place it where it will get the most use / benefit / be looked after.

Thursday 3 June 2004 3.26pm
Thanks Harriet.

Very constructive advice, and sensible too. (?Are you sure you're a lawyer? ;0))

Thursday 3 June 2004 3.41pm
We could keep the freehold, and lease it to R&S who could license its use to City Farm who in turn could ....

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Thursday 3 June 2004 4.14pm
Do you work for the Strategic Rail Authority, Mapmaker :0) ?

Thursday 3 June 2004 5.30pm
I was thinking more of some kind of structured finance arragement, sale and leaseback maybe, or some kind of derivative forward sale...

Thursday 3 June 2004 5.38pm
Oh my poor cider-addled brain.....
Thursday 3 June 2004 5.46pm
What can I say ?

I took umbrage at the querying of my credentials for lack of obfuscation....and you don't want these accountants thinking they've got the upper hand...

;-)

Friday 4 June 2004 9.53am
I think it needs to be securitised.

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions