London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 79
Monday 7 June 2004 10.01am
See 'Drinks this Summer' thread for report on Sarah's childrens' tree-climbing potential (though this may be redundant if Tharg's efforts bear fruit (literally literally).
Monday 7 June 2004 12.31pm
Not on topic, but Tharg - I just clicked on your profile by accident - thank you for making me laugh out loud for the first time today !!!

Monday 7 June 2004 12.50pm
Very cute. Especially the locks of golden hair.

Does your mum still knit you cardies? Mine tries to.
Monday 7 June 2004 1.48pm
I didn't know your mum tries to knit cardies for me.
Monday 7 June 2004 2.41pm
By the way, there's a pub in the Forest of Dean claiming a British record for the 35 ciders it stocks, five of them are draught.
Monday 7 June 2004 7.26pm
Good news, Dave Kaspar, Chair of the Gloucestershire Orchard Group has been in touch. He can provide us with half a ton of cider apples, blended to our requirements, picked and bagged ready to go for "not more than 100."

Post edited (07 Jun 04 20:36)
Tuesday 8 June 2004 11.42am
Great stuff Tharg!! I'd been thinking about this, and had come to the (not mindblowing) conclusion that mixed apples would be best, but that it would be difficult to get the mix with such a small quantity.

Well done. Well done. Well done.

I got a reply from Roots and Shoots today (apparently, email had been down and so they couldn't reply to me. Odd that they never got the answerphone messages either ;0)), but it was just a holding reply. When I hear properly, I will post.

I've also left a few more messages for the New Forest cider man, to see about that press, but no joy so far. Won't give up, and will keep everyone updated with progress.

Lots of nice cider round at ours at the moment. V happy to syphon a few pints your way if you're going to be passing by Ivanhoe Mansions in the nr future. You've got the number, so just give us a call if you fancy it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 8 June 2004 12.00pm
This new system has changed my name! Hmm.......I'm not sure about this.
Dave Kaspar was extremely helpful when I spoke to him last night, he said to find out what style of cider we were after, and he would then provide the blend for us. I'll go and visit him next time I'm home (the week after next) and get some more info off him. He was really impressed when I told him of our aims, and is able to offer a lot of advice.
Ex - Tharg, drinker of pervy

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 June 2004 12.01pm by stan.
Tuesday 8 June 2004 12.15pm
FANTASTIC

(changed my name too, but luckily I'd already forgotten my name so many times that I did have another ID that was suitably close to my old one, and I was able to get the system to send me the forgotten password for that. Technology!!! HUMBUG!!)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 June 2004 10.22pm
Good on ya Tharg. That sounds perfect. I like the bit about having to decide what style of cider we want - sounds like an excuse for lots of tasting.

Look forward to further postings from both you and Ivanhoe.
(Ivanhoe's cider stocks come highly recommended - at least the one that I tried. Provided a welcome thirst-quencher for two overheated sailors during becalmed moments during our sail on Monday)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions