London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 79
Tuesday 15 June 2004 1.01am
Glad to know I am not the only one with insomnia.

Like the idea of using the R&S press. If we organised a cider pressing day for them, perhaps alongside one of their open days, I don't see why they would charge.

I'm probably only good for about a tenner. But as TUMJ knows, I am happy to provide tree climbing labour. Plus we have a wine cellar (be envious) so would be happy to take some of the product.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 7.40am
I'm in for up to 50, and could take about 5 - 10 gallons (how long does it keep for ?).
Tuesday 15 June 2004 8.05am
If we use cider apples, there the ones with the tannins in, it ought to last until the next year's pressing. I'm in for 50 too.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 June 2004 8.10am by Tharg, drinker of Pervy.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 9.08am
Right. I think I've got this sorted now.

Absolute cheapest way to make cider in SE1 is as follows:

- RENT a press from Richard Burns (of Cheers brewing shop, Priory Rd, Cheam, Tel 8664 0934). He has basket presses and a (bigger) rack and cloth press (see Vigo for details) and rents them out at approx 50 a weekend (probably a bit cheaper, but he can't remember exactly). We just need to book a date.

- see if it's OK with Emma to have the pressing down at the City Farm. If any of her group wants to make cider, then there's still a benefit for them as we'll get hold of a nice big press and mill that they can use

- use any spare cash to hire a van/trailer/whatever to get the apples and press from Forest of Dean/Cheam to SE1

What does anyone think of that?

I'll look back at lunchtime.

In cider,

Ivanhoe

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 9.22am
I think that's a very good idea, and it's a very realistic target. What say the others? Would Emma be willing? - If she's not, let's drag her down the Oak and pour Stowford down her neck until she is.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 10.06am
Yes, I'll go for that. We could still try for the R&S press though unless you're fed up of trying to phone them Ivanhoe. If its a success this year there's a still half a lifetime ahead to acquire a press. And next year we wont be cider-making virgins any more so we will know exactly what to get.

Emma has already phoned and said it was OK to do our thing at the farm (see previous post) but that was when she was getting a press at the end. I hope this new plan wont make any difference - well nothing that Stowford can't put right. I'll phone her soon.

Have you discovered there's no presses for hire more locally? I know we have to get the apples anyway but the press would involve 2 journeys which could be a nuisance (though presumably a car would suffice).

Glad you're in Harriet. I think the answer to your question is: as long as you can resist it for.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 10.53am
1) If anyone wants to call R&S and ask to borrow their press, please feel free. David is the man re apple pressing, and you may well have better luck getting in touch with him than I have had so far. It would be one way to solve the problem of where to do the pressing.

If nothing else, (based on the bloke I spoke to yesterday - not David) I think they'd be happy for us to come down and watch/help them when they use their press for the first time, and that would all be good learning.

I think that the hire prices are good value, and that (if we found somewhere to do the pressing) then hiring our own press gives us some control, and also lets us do it by hand. But that's not an overriding concern, and, as I say, it's just my initial thoughts.

2) Ditto with Emma. Personally, I like the idea of doing it in their orchard, if it's OK with her.

3) Cheam is 12 miles from SE1. Can't imagine anyone nearer hires cider presses (I've spent ages looking, and only got this guy's name after a tip off from another man whose number I got from a woman whose number I got from the cider man at the market - if that gives you any idea of how opaque the world of cider press availability is). But, do feel free to try.

For all of the above I've done my best to find things out, but they are by no means guaranteed to be the best solution. I would welcome it if someone else wanted to dig around a bit and come up with something better. However, if no one does, then I suggest that:

a) we carry on with getting a list of people who are committed to doing it (and we've made a good start above)

b) we get together on the 21st to get everyone's views on: Do we want to try to borrow R&Ss press or do we want to hire a press? Could we use a hired press at City Farm, (or is there anywhere else suitable to do the pressing)?

c) Once we've got a concensus on the things above, we can allocate jobs to people.

Tuesday 15 June 2004 10.58am
Good idea, we can sort this out on the 21st. if we get the apples from Gloucester, we can stop at my place overnight, if it makes things easier.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 12.06pm
Sorry Ivanhoe, I had no idea where Cheam was. It sounded like it was out in the West country. 12 miles away sounds ideal. I'd be happy to do a run in the leak-mobile. All the above sounds like an excellent plan, thanks for getting it together while you're having a busy period at work.

I'll check out Emma before the 21st.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 12.19pm
Excellent.

We just need to spread the word and see who's on board the cider train.

See you on the 21st.

Current: 7 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions