London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 79 of 79
Thursday 24 March 2005 11.18am
My doobrey reading was 1.003, not as dry as Thargs, which is a bit surprising as his has been cool and mine warm. I hope to rack soon. I agree that the taste is already superior (though I say it myself!) to any bottled commercial ciders I have tried, except for Kieth's. I am very glad I went natural.

Anyone else is welcome to borrow the doobreyometer.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 24 March 2005 11.22am by The Unladylike Ms. Jo.
Thursday 24 March 2005 1.15pm
TUMJ said:
"I agree that the taste is already superior (though I say it myself!) to any bottled commercial ciders I have tried, except for Kieth's."

Sorry Jo, when I said commercial cider I meant Strongbow etc.
Keith makes real cider.
Thursday 24 March 2005 1.27pm
I'd like to borrow your doobreyometer sometime please Jo (you need the doobrey reading to enter the Big Apple. I don't think I'd really care otherwise.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 24 March 2005 1.53pm
if you need a doobrey reading for the Big Apple then I'll need to borrow it as well.
Thursday 24 March 2005 2.03pm
You are welcome, Tharg has it just now so you could get it off him if your cider has finished fermenting and settled down already, but I suspect it has not yet done so, so the SG might still change.
Tuesday 29 March 2005 12.17pm
And you're still alive, so it must be OK ;0)

Tuesday 29 March 2005 2.08pm
Came across an old trade card this morning:

"Cider Cellars Maiden Lane Covent Garden
New & Splendid Room
John Regan
Having at an immense expense completed his improvements, trusts his exertions will merit, from a deserving Public, a continuance of that support and general Patronage, which his old Established and Favourite Place of Resort has for so many Years experienced.
Wines, Spirits, Dinners, Chops & c. of the best Quality and Moderate Charges.
The Harmonic Every Evening
Oct 23rd 1835"

It also has an engraving of the entrance, above which was painted:
"Bottled Ales, Stout, Cider & Perry"
Tuesday 29 March 2005 2.16pm
Is this the first gastropub conversion?

Tuesday 29 March 2005 2.29pm
Could be, I bet you don't get "The Harmonic Every Evening" round at The Hartley.
Current: 79 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions