London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 79
Tuesday 15 June 2004 12.53pm
I'll get on board the cider train - although I'm not sure that it'll be an easy job getting agreement on storing some/any cider in our one bed flat - though I think I have an idea that may work. Could be in for up to 50 depending on finances (and how much I have left after the August wedding) but at least 20.

roughly how big (in volume metres X metres) are one gallon jug and 5 gallon containers?
Tuesday 15 June 2004 1.07pm
I forgot to mention - I'm in for anything between 20-50, all costs included.

Roadrunner - those glass winemaking demijohns that you see everywhere are 1 gallon, which is approx. 5 litres. Two 4-pint milk containers is another way of looking at it.

My plastic 5-gallon buckets are 33cm diameter, 40cm high. They hold a little more than 5 gallons, to allow for frothing. Remember 1 litre is the volume of a cube with 10cm sides.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 1.58pm
I think we (will) have room for a 5 gallon one.
Tuesday 15 June 2004 6.35pm
Half a ton of cider apples ought to produce a yield of around 317 litres (70 gallons) all this for, "Not more than 100, bagged and ready to go".

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 June 2004 6.39pm by Tharg, drinker of Pervy.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 8.18am
That's great. Unless we have a rush of further interest, then half a ton should do us just fine.

I wonder how much space half a ton of apples fills up?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 8.59am
I'll ask Dave Kaspar (apple man).
Wednesday 16 June 2004 9.45am
and how much space 70 gallons of cider fills up - that's quite a bit!

... won't we need some kind of liscence to produce an alcoholic beverage?!...
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.08am
Only if you want to distill your share.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.22am
70 gallons of cider would (on my v rough reckoning - based on me imagining lots of 5 gallon polypins) fill up about the same space as a small double bed, or med/large dining table (either of which any self-respecting artisan would gladly sacrifice to make room for his craft).

The license thing is only applicable if you make something like 10,000 gallons, Jon. It means that most (if not all) of the little cider farms that make our countryside so welcoming and relaxing can quite legally escape from paying duty (which perhaps goes some way to explain the phenomenal good value they offer to the thirsty and discerning traveller).

I think we should be alright for this year, but I'll look into it and make sure that we're properly legal for next year's bumper pressing :0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.27am
If you want to know what 70 gallons of cider looks like, you can have a look at my bank statements.
Current: 8 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions