London SE1 community website

Cider making in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 79
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.27am
Or sell it.

How much space? 500kg, or 1000 lbs. A brown paper sack of potatoes is usually 15kg, which will have a similar density to apples. So 30 of these bags. It would fit in the back of my car which I will happily donate for the purpose, although you would probably have to drive it yourselves.

70 gallons is 35 2 gallon demijohns (even though OED says that a demijohn is from 3 to 10 gallons...) weighing about a third of a tonne.

Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.31am
Excellent, so we sell Mapmaker's car and buy more apples!
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.52am
Great idea,

Although I thought Mapmaker meant that we could turn his car into a still (for which we would need a license).

Seriously though, that's a very generous offer Mapmaker. I wonder how your poor car would take to having 1/2 tonne of anything in the back (although it's none of my business).

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.01am
That's very generous of you Mapmaker, we'll probably need a trailer as well. For those of you with water coolers at work, our projected cider yield would fit in 17 water containers
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.21am
or 11,250 egg-cups...
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.23am
...or 157,500 thimbles.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.39am
Water coolers is an inspired idea. With a suitable bung and airlock wouldn't they work as well as anything "proper"?

Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.40am
or the back of one car (quite a big car by the sounds of it!)
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.45am
Should take half a tonne & a driver - the latest Audi A6 has a payload of 550kg, I think mine might have a fraction more. Might be a bit short of capacity for passengers though. I haven't got a towbar, though.

Wednesday 16 June 2004 2.09pm
For anyone who wants to learn more about making cider, the courses here might be of interest (the bloke in Cheam who hires presses told me about them. Apparently he used to help on the courses. It's in the Forest, Tharg, and sounds like an interesting place.)

http://www.ragmans.co.uk/

Current: 9 of 79

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions