London SE1 community website

junior doctors dispute

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Tuesday 29 March 2016 8.35am
I was listening to St Martins in fields vicar on radio 4 this morning and he said people demanding their rights etc chill him when lives are at risk. We must show love and compassion.in all we do.. life is a life whichever age we are in this world and I was minded of several medics I met Easter Sunday who told me simply. "we entered medicine to save lives and make that difference" BMA etc..... NB
Tuesday 29 March 2016 11.10am
I was in hospital a few Easter weekends ago, I had an abscess on my backside (too much info?), I was told it was cardiac weekend at St Thomas so I was going to have to wait, bit of a pain, but I understood that emergencies came first. EMERGENCIES were dealt with.

The question is, are all the other NHS services going to be 7 days as well? Think of the extra services, from catering to maintenance, X ray to pharmacy, all will have to have increased budgets, wouldn't they? How can it be, that we are going to have this great new 7 day service, without a penny of extra money?

Like I say Paramount, you may have your point of view, but the consultants (who would be losing money during the strikes) support the doctors, why do you suppose that is?
Tuesday 29 March 2016 11.31am
Why would Consultants lose money? They are on 100k plus for their contract. Includes 7 days if appropriate... also GP s. except. GP's work circa 5 day week apparently.. It was New Labour who gave medics extra money and reduced their hours 2004? Tony Blair and John Reid. Of course that was extremely popular... No arguments over changing conditions of contract then I see. Promised land etc. Now reality dawns etc. It is sad but looks as if imposition will go ahead
Tuesday 29 March 2016 11.36am
I would assume that consultants will be losing private practise dosh while they cover for the Drs on the days of the strikes, they must be giving something up. Yet they support the Drs, go figure.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 11.56am
Nhs Consultants generally don't undertake private work or and if they do nhs contract takes precedence I understand
Tuesday 29 March 2016 12.02pm
This is illuminating as it may purport to show that rumoured consultant support for juniors might not be totally altruistic etc as the Seniors dont want their private income jeopardised. Love of money root of all evil......again..
Tuesday 29 March 2016 12.22pm
Still don't see how we are going to have fully operational 7 day NHS without any extra money.
Anyone that's worked in a hospital understands the enormity of it all.
There will surely have to be extra staff, there should be extra doctors but we know that wont happen, so we are going from full 5 day to full 7 day with no extra doctors, haha nice one!
Presumably all other departments will suffer the same, how will you justify, say, the chemists having to endure the same practices?
So outpatients appointments will be 7 day? The list is endless and there will be no extra staff.

The end.
Zoe
Tuesday 29 March 2016 3.28pm
Is your abscess healed? Sounds unpleasantly painful while simultaneously being acutely embarrassing.

Totally agree about 7 day working.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 4.15pm
Yes. That is what the government is aiming for..... 8 days a week. As the Beatles song opines
Tuesday 29 March 2016 8.17pm
I believe that when you don't fully understand a topic it's best to keep quiet.

The Conservative government is using skewed statistics to show what they want, it's very easy to do this and this has been demonstrated.

Consultants do not earn 100k - some do because they carry out extra duties over and above their ordinary roles.

You do realise Paramount that should our wonderful Junior Doctors sit back and allow this to happen they will be party to the gradual dismemberment of the NHS, resulting in its absolute privatisation - they would then be able to earn a lot more as private doctors - they are fighting for the NHS, not for themselves.

Honestly, those overpaid, lazy doctors!!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions