London SE1 community website

junior doctors dispute

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8
Tuesday 5 April 2016 11.37am
Sorry for your experience with your late husband Jan. I am not expert on this but cannot find any updates online...in general circumstances I always assumed this was part of a no charge to UK residents etcetera situation.... CAB can advise perhaps? Which hospital was it?

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 5 April 2016 11.49am
I also note that Peter Hitchens feels duped by Regan/Thatcher and yearns for nationalistation)public ownership so....BR. British Steel. Post office telephones. NCB British Leyland etc. Surprise or not??? so Bunhouse etc. Life is not always Black orWhite...
But a little injection of spiritual colour creeps in.. If allowed to
Tuesday 5 April 2016 1.04pm
Bit off the point, but I suspect Hitchens is trying to start a debate on nationalisation as part of his opinions on the EU, it will be very difficult under the TTIP agreement.

Maybe it's not that far off topic, it could mean the end of the NHS as we know it. As I understand it, if a private company can prove that it can do it cheaper, which it surely will (at the same time keeping shareholders sweet, go figure) then they can sue the government. I stand to be corrected on that.
Tuesday 5 April 2016 1.22pm
Brexit must be way forward as letting all n sundry in from abroad. Sometimes.... Even Americans get away with freebies apparently. You try that as an EU citizen in France for instance. You pay up front n heavily relatively considering the 2nd class service my family received on the Southernregion there recently

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 5 April 2016 2.24pm
We send 350 million quid a week to EU. Brexit would mean saved money could go to NHS etcetera

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 5 April 2016 8.11pm
Jan it is unheard of for the senior doctors to get the cremation money ('ash cash' as they call it) - it is for the very junior, junior doctors as a small token for the little cash they do earn in the first place, sone people choose to give it to charity. Also, some consultants show their appreciation to the juniors by buying them a coffee from time to time and giving out Christmas presents.

Paramount, I am not sure where your musings are coming from and why you place doctors on a different level of expectation from any other person. Doctors are people with families and loved ones who they deserve to see, they also suffer a greater amount of stress that you or I could not imagine (unless of course you are a doctor of latter years (when of course, according to you, those doctors were far better and more committed than our current workforce)).

My husband is a doctor, he is also a father and MY husband. He often works 60 hour weeks (although rarely finishes on time so more like 65-70 hours). My husband does not choose his holiday, it is given to him, which means that school holidays and his holidays do not coincide, he has missed countless special days and experiences, however, he did not enter this profession naively. He cares for his patients and for our NHS, like most of our doctors. He is proud of the NHS and as long as it is around, he swears he will never defect to private medicine. He is not in it for the money.

Just cut them all some slack and enough of your idealistic, romanticised view of what the NHS should be like. We have a wonderful system but our doctors (and all our NHS staff for that matter) deserve better standards of work and life - unfortunately, many of them are realising they can obtain this elsewhere and our well trained doctors are leaving for greener grass leaving even less doctors to tend to the so called '7 day NHS' - which, if you hadn't noticed, we already have one......
Tuesday 5 April 2016 8.59pm
I have my medical experiences also. On a personal level I can only say my ex wife a caring child family psychiatrist when in the office if not at home anyway....got usual 18k as Registra. On upgrade to first consultancy age 30 she was on 75 k. Now she is on 100 k Nhs plus another 100k at least from her private work.
I have much more I could add here buthe feel it best left unsaid

To walk off for 48 hours away from patients is unforgivable and 2 days off for emergencies. Words fail me really. What sort of society have we become

Cotswolds 12
Tuesday 5 April 2016 9.05pm
The same amount of doctors worked throughout - the consultants that support the junior doctors worked in their place!

And just so that nobody misunderstands - emergency care strike was business hours over the 2 days.

Of all people with a wife in medicine, you should be all too aware how this contract discriminates against women who wish to have children and take career breaks - or should that be banned too? Doctors having kids.....
Tuesday 5 April 2016 9.07pm
The End
Wednesday 6 April 2016 8.50am
Paramount, it was St.Thomass hospital, I was not aware of this practice because most people just go to Funeral Directors and arrange the whole kit and caboodle. I am going to find out about giving my old bones to hospital rather than be Ashed!

Vickt, at least if it went in a fund to help junior doctors if they find themselves needing stuff. But it still jars that a fee is charged? I could understand if like my Mum who died at home and a doctor had to come out to sign certificate. My husband worked from the age of 14, when I met him his wife had been dead for six years and he was raising three children, and worked all hours despite having one leg two inches shorter due to revolutionary muscle transplant history after polio. Now of course with benefits that exist he would not have to work. But he would have as that's what you did, you worked and paid your way..sorry Vickt I do tend to waffle! X
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 6 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions