London SE1 community website

junior doctors dispute

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.31am
... Thank you so much for this. You seem a kindly soul... I had heard re ash cash. Horrible phrase... And not one I felt should be repeated to you on here.
Sorry it was.
Tommy's....... A great hospital..... I am a public member of the trust there

Always recall my Mum saying. You can't put old or wise head on young shoulders.
And the last government gave extra cash and cut their surgery hours etc to doctors GP s especially in a new contract so they got used to it didn't they? .. Don't remember doctors or anyone else complain about forcing a new unasked for contract upon them....then..course it's not about money is it? Ha ha..

The Cut . but everything is imposed isn't it? Transport . If I go to a shop the price is there and I can agree or not to enter into a contract.. doctors situation I was informed that they walked out of ACAS after 30mins!
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.35am
Jan. thx for this. :) heard about ash cash. Awful phrase terminology. Not one I would have mentioned to you in your situation.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.34am
That's okay Paramount, I am sure Vickt was just saying it as it is! :-) no upset was caused ...
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.38am
Oh.....
Good....

Glad to hear

Thanks. Jan

Cotswolds 12
Wednesday 6 April 2016 12.13pm
Paramount, you are never going to budge, you ignored a incredibly powerful post from someone married to a front line doctor. You clearly come from a political perspective and I can only hope that these quangos you're involved in are well balanced.
Is it your dislike for the kind of lefty you have to deal with on these quangos affecting your judgement? I'm right aren't I?
You enjoy private medical care, I'm right there too aren't I?

Yep, Jan's a kindly soul, I'm afraid you're not coming across as such.

Oh and one more question, what on Earth have GPs got to do with this? Are you denying that Drs currently work unpaid hours?
Wednesday 6 April 2016 1.12pm
Jan of course I meant no offence and apologies if it did.

Thank you Paramount for demonstrating in your own words just how valuable doctors actually are. In your ex-wife's example I suspect she earns around 100k as a private psychiatrist for probably 1 day a week. If doctors wages were determined by market forces they would multiply many times. Doctors through their goodwill and ethic of service save the taxpayer 10s of millions probably more.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.23pm
vickt wrote:
My husband is a doctor, he is also a father and MY husband. He often works 60 hour weeks (although rarely finishes on time so more like 65-70 hours). My husband does not choose his holiday, it is given to him, which means that school holidays and his holidays do not coincide, he has missed countless special days and experiences, however, he did not enter this profession naively. He cares for his patients and for our NHS, like most of our doctors. He is proud of the NHS and as long as it is around, he swears he will never defect to private medicine. He is not in it for the money.

Just cut them all some slack and enough of your idealistic, romanticised view of what the NHS should be like. We have a wonderful system but our doctors (and all our NHS staff for that matter) deserve better standards of work and life - unfortunately, many of them are realising they can obtain this elsewhere and our well trained doctors are leaving for greener grass leaving even less doctors to tend to the so called '7 day NHS' - which, if you hadn't noticed, we already have one......

You are spot on, Vickt- I am also married to a hospital doctor and 65-70 hours per week are the norm. He works in Bart's and luckily has a short commute: he leaves home for a nightshift at 18h45 and will be home the following morning at 09h45. As an Anaesthetist in Intensive Care, there is hardly opportunity for rest. And indeed, holidays are given to him, never his first choice. Our life is entirely in function of the hospital and the NHS. But yes, in spite of all that, he believes in the NHS and would not ever consider private medicine: values speak louder than money. But more restrictions and less pay will make it very hard to not let these values conflict with reality. And that is in nobody's interest.
Thursday 7 April 2016 8.22am
Vickt, no offence was taken honest. :-) your husband sounds a really great guy. He sounds like old Doctor David Larkin (10 Trinity Sq.in the 40's) he went the extra mile as well, coming out in a snowstorm to treat my little brother who had pneumonia and a heart murmur . Think it was 1957 when he died I am sure in his eighties.

When you mentioned about the school holidays I must admit I had not thought about that aspect. To take children out of school in term time can cause problems . And of course when children are small they get so disappointed not to go on holiday altogether. Then they hit their teens and the idea of going even shopping with you fills them with horror!
Thursday 7 April 2016 9.18am
:)) Jan I shall book you for ACAS!!! A true peacemaker.... Reminds me of my mother...also reminiscent of The Ladylillers film 1950s..,,, Alec GuinNess
.the lovely landlady was Marjorie!???

Cotswolds 12
Thursday 7 April 2016 10.12am
I was just looking you tube a 1981 Thames Tv programmes interviewing.Dirk Bogarde in his South France abode.. He left England ten years previously... In many ways I understand his reasons for exiting.... :)

Cotswolds 12
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions