London SE1 community website

YAAAAAHAAAAARRRRR! - Advance warning.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.18pm
I was rather tempted by the balsam, garlic, Mustard seed, myrrh, and radish root combo - do you think one of the local gastopubs might put it on a side salad?
Wednesday 8 September 2004 2.43pm
Rabbie,

I think your link is only telling one side of the story. My contention would be that cider can contain varying amounts of vitamin C (depending on apple varieties, and the way it's been made/stored etc), and so without any evidence of whether your man above had a cider with typical VitC levels or (as I suspect) one quite lacking in goodness, the comparison that he then goes on to make is a bit unscientific to say the least.

My claim is based on the views (anecdotal, granted) of the esteemed F Bacon (and what goes better with cider than pork????) below.

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/celebratingsomerset/cidermap/home.htm (go to the History section and look up the 1626 entry. Quoted below:)

<<First real acknowledgment for cyder to be used as an anti scurvy agent at sea. “Cyder and Perry are notable beverages in long sea voyages. A wonderful and refreshing drink... an assured remedy for sickness taken at sea.” Francis Bacon. He also advises “greeting those ill with scurvy to be given cider and oranges as a instant cure upon landing...”>>

Your "young James Lind" (a Swedish name, undoubtledly a relative of Jenny. What do they know about cider - apart from Ikea perry, and thanks to Tharg we all know that the likelihood of that having any connection with fruit is minimal) sounds like a callow teetotaller (and citrus grower) who's obviously pursuing his own anti-cider agenda.

On reflection, I think you'll find that the only use for a slice of lemon is to put in your scrumpy (don't ask me, but the brizzle boys do it, allegedly).

Respectfully

Ivanhoe

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 September 2004 2.44pm
I'd like to add my own apology to that that Tharg has offered. It's obvious that I can't handle my apples. I'd been fine all through the five or six pints of Golden Zest bitter that we'd drunk at the Wheatsheaf; it was that one, shared bottle of french cider that did it. I should learn a lesson.

Like Tharg, I was most impressed with the machine's ability to spot the influence of cider. I'm using IE, does it work in Netscape too?

Friday 10 September 2004 3.11pm
.....and speaking of cider, if any of you are at the Usk Agricultural Show tomorrow, come and say hello, and you'll get a free glass of cider or pervy.
- YAAHHAAARR!!
Saturday 11 September 2004 12.37am
blake wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to add my own apology to that that Tharg
> has offered. It's obvious that I can't handle my
> apples. I'd been fine all through the five or six
> pints of Golden Zest bitter that we'd drunk at the
> Wheatsheaf; it was that one, shared bottle of
> french cider that did it. I should learn a
> lesson.
>
> Like Tharg, I was most impressed with the
> machine's ability to spot the influence of cider.
> I'm using IE, does it work in Netscape too?
>
>
>

Absolutely brilliant.

I'm glad that the Internet is ahead of mobile phones in the prevention from use while under the influence stakes.

I've always thought that mobiles should have built in breathalysers to stop people from sending texts/ making phone calls that are going to make them cringe in the morning.

Monday 13 September 2004 11.05am
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've always thought that mobiles should have
> built in breathalysers to stop people from sending
> texts/ making phone calls that are going to make
> them cringe in the morning.
>
>
I thought that was one of the points of mobile phones (and one of the reasons I don't have one :0))

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 19 September 2004 10.46am
YAAHAHAARR! Ye postinous bilge dogs, splice the main frame etc. shiver me gimbals an' pass me Swiss army hook, yaarr! The great day is upon us, I 'opes ye've all been indulgin' in piratical rantin's.
- Captain Thargbeard
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions