London SE1 community website

Wassailing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 7 December 2004 4.40pm
Does anyone want to go wassailing, early in the New Yr?

Don't care where (else) we go, but (fair warning) I have a very strong compulsion to include the electric tree at morelondon, whatever else we do.

I have words for a few wassail songs, but no idea of suitable tunes, and no instrument other than my (enthusiastic but not incredibly tuneful) voice.

Anyone?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 5.03pm
I'm not sure about wasailing, but I wouldn't mind some proper Carol singing (and no jokes about Mrs R either!)
Tuesday 7 December 2004 5.47pm
I fancy Carol singing too. (midnight service on Christmas Eve is never enough!) Would go for the Wassailing as well (only know one Wassailing song though ) as long as it includes copious amounts of libation (for the vocal chords you understand) ie more of a Wassailing pub crawl.
Unladylike Ms. Jo is the one to get on board for this, bet she knows all the tunes and she can play the tin whistle too.
Tuesday 7 December 2004 7.31pm
I'm up for wassailing. I wouldn't say I specifically knew any tunes, but I expect I have some music at home, and if not I know where to get some: the Barbican Library has an excellent collection of sheet music, or there's Cecil Sharpe House library for traditional English stuff.

I may even be able to persuade some folky fiddly guitary friends to participate in such a suitably mad caper (we'll leave out the bagpipes this time, I think).
Wednesday 8 December 2004 9.45am
Excellent. But let's have no more mention of Carol singing.

Wednesday 8 December 2004 3.25pm
Yes! carol singing! im up for some of that!
Wednesday 8 December 2004 4.24pm
try a carol singing thread then

Wednesday 8 December 2004 5.44pm
A woman, a dog, a walnut tree.
The harder you beat them,
The better they be.

As they use to say down More London way...

gggggrrrrrruuff
Wednesday 8 December 2004 5.46pm
Forgot to say... count me in for the Wassailing.
Thursday 9 December 2004 11.08am
Excellent (welcome back hot puppy. it's been a while, hasn't it?)

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions