London SE1 community website

Pianos

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 31 January 2005 7.51pm
Actually, my old piano is at present lodging at Crossway Church on the New Kent road, and I ( and the church!) would be absolutely delighted to see it go to a good home. You'd have to collect it, though...

Send me a private message if you want to pursue this, Sarah.
Jim

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 31 January 2005 7.52pm by jimtherev.
Monday 31 January 2005 10.10pm
Hi Jimtherev (I like it),

It looks as though my prayers have been answered. I will send a private message.

Now all I need is a local piano teacher. Perhaps a moonlighting student? I will take up the earlier suggestion of posting notices at local music colleges.

This forum is wonderful.

Sarah
Monday 31 January 2005 11.11pm
Annie2004 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a pianist myself (ooh, that makes me sound a
> bit grand - I actually just played for a few years
> when I was younger), <snip>

She's being very modest - she actually got up to grade gazillion.

Saturday 5 February 2005 1.39pm
Jimtherevs Piano sounds great and in need of a good home.

Now the rest. Does anyone know of:
a reliable man with a van
a good piano tuner
a piano teacher

This forum is wonderful so I have no doubt someone will have the right contacts.

Thanks,

Sarah
Saturday 5 February 2005 1.56pm
Man with a van - Graham at http://www.bigvan.com - mention the London SE1 website.

'in SE1' is now delivered by bigvan.com as a result of previous reccommendations on this forum.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 5 February 2005 2.25pm
Really excellent and friendly piano tuner - Art Terry 07939470070.
He has looked after our piano on The Cut for the last 5 years.
Can't recommend him highly enough.

Roger
Monday 7 February 2005 11.47am
Sarah - have you contacted the Driscoll House Hotel (New Kent Rd)?
they advertise in their leaflet that they have "piano's available on every floor" (or something similar....)
maybe they have one they going spare...?

[have just checked their website, and it doesn't mention pianos but I'm sure I've seen it on a leaflet]
Thursday 10 February 2005 1.40pm
You don't want just any old man with a van. You want somebody who will be kind to a piano.

The removal costs of a piano will be greater than many shattered old pianos are worth.

Buy something that is half-decent, and the children will enjoy playing it more. There is nothing more soul destroying than banging away at a knackered old machine that sounds awful 7 won't tune properly.

An out-of-tune ancient second hand piano probably won't tune up properly. Moreover, it will take several tunings before it stays in tune - if ever it will.

A good piano won't require tuning more than once a year, so that'll save you #50 per year. I think (subject to Jimtherev) you should be budgeting at about #1,000 of second-hand piano. i know it sounds like a lot. But if they wanted to learn the violin, you'd have to buy them one each. And new, you would be looking at a couple of hundred pounds each. For a clarinet, it would be yet more.

PS, i am in no way related to Phoney TM; Ivanhoe or any of the other individuals posting on this site!
Thursday 10 February 2005 2.05pm
now if they want to learn the saxophone.... I can get you one, and give lessons....
Thursday 10 February 2005 3.03pm
The tin whistle has, in my opinion, the highest ratio of musical potential to cost.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions