London SE1 community website

Not Reebok Classics.....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 8 February 2005 2.36pm
.....but, what could one buy if one wanted a pair of trainers and didn't want them to be from an American company?

(I know they make New Balance here, but they're a US co.)

[edited to add, in the light of recent humbuggery: In case anyone is in any doubt, I don't mind if any of you want to make a few jokes on this thread, and I promise not to get all stroppy if you do. Especially if you then go on to answer my question (for which I will probably not thank you and will then disappear from the forum until the next time I want something)]

...if you press it, they will come.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 February 2005 2.39pm by Ivanhoe.
Tuesday 8 February 2005 2.48pm
How about a nice pair of Swedish trainers .. tall, blonde, fit - would have you in shape in no time!
Tuesday 8 February 2005 2.54pm
Puma is a German company (Puma AG) ...any good for you ?

Although, I should say in the interests of full and frank disclosure, that US / non US company branded trainers are probably all made in the same factories in Indonesia, China etc, and under the same kinds of questionable working conditions - did a quick google for "Fair Trade Trainers" and didn't come up with much - a gap in the market perhaps ?

edited to say, other than this:

Get Ethical

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 8 February 2005 2.57pm by Siduhe.
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.09pm
Thanks Siduhe. The manufacture thing is a concern (I should have said), and that's what puts me off Puma and Adidias. I was so happy to find out that New Balance were made in the UK, and so sad to find that they are not actually British.

(And I do realise that this is a drop in the ocean etc etc etc. I'm just toying with the idea of giving up America for Lent)

Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.09pm
Make your own: cut up some old scooter tyres, paint some stripes/flashes/chevrons/union flags/whatever on the side, lace them up - and before you know it, all the kids will be knocking on your door (and laughing at you probably).
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.14pm
opening up to all sorts of jolly food-related comments I expect, but here goes...

There's the Vegetarian Shoe company in Brighton (but they sell all over the place of course, including online). I had a quick look and they do trainers (well they look like trainers to me). Possibly too trendy/expensive/right-on but maybe worth a look if you're looking for ethically sourced footwear...

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/

"Most of our shoes are made-to-order for us, exclusively to our specification in European and English factories, including the oldest co-op in the country, established in 1881!"

And avoid buying online just to give yourself an excuse for an afternoon in Brighton...

Mark.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 8 February 2005 3.15pm by markandjoan.
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.19pm
And I could go on my scooter (which would need a new tyre soon, so I could try Stan's idea as well).

Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.23pm
indeed - the Mod fashion & scooter shop in Brighton is about 20 yards across the street from the Veggie shoe shop . . you could buy a spare while they're wrapping up your shoes

mark.
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.24pm
There was a EU backed survey published on these kinds of issues a couple of years ago. Funnily enough, I can't find it on any european website, but there is a summary on the NZ Consumer organisation page:

Click here
Tuesday 8 February 2005 3.36pm
Thanks, all of you.

[Markandjoan,

I'm an impulsive Ivanhoe today, and have just called up the nice vegetarians of Brighton and ordered a pair of their finest. (They even sell to carnivores!)]

Thanks again. I love this site. Even those of you who don't make cider are nice people.

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions