London SE1 community website

Wormeries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.25pm
I'm afraid I've been very lacksadaisical (?) regarding the worms though hope to get myself (and balcony) sorted soon so if it isn't too late I can still take Jac up on her kind offer ... as soon as I do I may well take you (TUMJ) up on your offer as worms in action sound too good to miss!!
Wednesday 6 April 2005 3.18pm
They are, I assure you!
Jac
Wednesday 6 April 2005 4.15pm
Julie - yes the wormery is waiting in the garden ready for you to collect, just give me a call or pop round on the off chance to pick it up.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 5.35pm
I'm just harvesting my latest batches of compost: approx. 30 litres of it. It will soon be turned into leaves and flowers, and a few things to eat, probably Rocket, and I already have strawberries, beans and lots of herbs on the go. You can hardly get to the front door for all the greenery closing in on you - and thats just on the sun-less side. I asked Father Christmas to bring me a garden but sadly I've still just got the balcony.
Wednesday 20 April 2005 1.04pm
I missed my chance to meet you both at Sobo - so near yet so far ... I think lunch would be an ideal time to talk worms! Anyway, Jac, I could possibly pop round on Sunday (24th) afternoon, if it is convenient with you?
Jac
Wednesday 20 April 2005 2.29pm
Julie Yes that would be great
Wednesday 20 April 2005 3.32pm
we're at Tas Ev for lunch next Tuesday. A little bit further away for you but you're very welcome.
th
Thursday 21 April 2005 1.13pm
My worms aren't doing too good....Would the cold weather at the end of Feb/ beginning March have slowed down the process a bit? They're really not eating much and I do see some dead ones occasionally. Any advice for me?
Thursday 21 April 2005 3.23pm
They do slow down in the cold, but then they should perk up again. Dead ones is not a good sign though. What are the wormery contents like? Are they too waterlogged? Drain off any surplus liquid and mix in some torn up newspaper (B&W OK, colour not). Are they too compacted so there is no air? Then turn it over and loosen it up. Maybe its too acidic, in which case add crushed eggshells. It would probably be better not to add any more waste till it starts looking a bit better in there.
th
Thursday 21 April 2005 3.33pm
Ok thanks, I'll give all the above a try. I've not been adding much waste at all as I knew that I needed to let them get established first.
I drained the liquid this morning, but I'll turn it over as it might be a bit compacted.
I really want to get it going well as soon as possible..
Thanks
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions