London SE1 community website

Wormeries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Thursday 21 April 2005 10.32pm
Good luck. I hope you succeed. Just in case you dont and all the worms snuff it, you can always get some more. I got mine by digging about in the manure heap at the city farm.
Tuesday 26 April 2005 7.48am
I was told that the brandling worms like cheese..is this true or was I just being wormed up? I had a plastic wormery several years ago, I think I got wonderful liquid manure from it. Not much else I'm afraid, I must have been doing something wrong. However this year this year I am determined to dig out a machete and hack my way down to the shed, I'll try not to disturb the fox families living under it though!
th
Tuesday 26 April 2005 1.27pm
Had a good dig around in my wormery over the weekend and am pleased to report that worms all seem to be doing well. Loads of little ones, so am presuming that they're now breeding and shall shortly be happily getting stuck in to everything I put in there.
I drained it , turned it over in case it was too compacted and added some eggshells. And I won't add anything for a while.
Thanks for your help!
Tanya
Tuesday 26 April 2005 3.56pm
That's good news - it sounds like it was just the cold weather then. If you've got loads of active worms then you will be fine adding your normal quantity of stuff. The idea is not to add more than the worms can eat, so if the worms slow down you need to slow down too with adding stuff. Its the uneaten waste hanging around that causes problems, like smelly anaerobic decomposition and flies.
th
Tuesday 26 April 2005 4.57pm
Ok.
So if anything gets to rotting/white and hairy stage should it be taken out?
I got a lime mix from the people that I got the wormery from to help with flies, so I've been putting that in once a week and it seems to help...
Tuesday 26 April 2005 5.13pm
No, leave it in unless there's too much of it in relation to the worms' activity. Its only anaerobic decomposition which is a problem, when the waste turns slimy and smells. A bit of mould etc is fine, it all helps the breakdown.

I've been adding that lime mix too. Crushed eggshells supposedly have a similar effect. I had a temporary problem with flies last summer. I cut out some old carpet to put on top of each layer of compost to stop any flies laying their eggs in it, and that helped a lot.
Jac
Wednesday 25 May 2005 3.13pm
Julie have you got your wormery going yet?
Wednesday 25 May 2005 3.27pm
Not as such.

The book, however, is riveting!

(Feel like a failure, work has been somewhat out of control for the past few weeks and worms have had to be put to one side ... but the end is in sight)
Thursday 26 May 2005 12.13pm
Hi everyone, my name is Bing, I've recently taken over at CRISP's home composting project. I've been asked to deliver one of these nice wooden wormerys made by St Mungos, but it doesn't have an instruction booklet. I'd hate to just send one off without telling the user how it works, and I'm quite curious myself. I'm very glad there are people on this forum who say they have one of these wormerys from CRISP, and I really need help from you!

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks very much!

Bing
Jac
Thursday 26 May 2005 3.00pm
Hi Bing

My wormery is now with juile as I found it just wasn't big enough and I have squeezed in a full size compost bin which has all my worms in and they seem to be doing well. when I recieved my wormery from crisp i didn't get any written instructions as the copier had broken down and I was promised one in the post which never arrived. I had however attended a 1 hour "workshop" so knew roughly what to do. I also used the book worms eat my garbage. The unladylike ms jo is the forum expert maybe she has a an instruction booklet that could be copied.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions