London SE1 community website

Wormeries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Monday 6 June 2005 12.05am
Hi Bing, I've been away but happy to help now I'm back.

Have you taken over from Armin? I got a booklet from him. He may have it on his computer or have one somewhere you can copy. If not, you are welcome to borrow mine - there is a library nearby where you can copy it in B&W or colour (expensive). 'Worms eat my garbage' is excellent, and very comprehensive. I believe there is some reference material at CRISP. Otherwise there's lots of info on the internet too.
Monday 6 June 2005 12.11pm
Hi Jac and Jo, thanks for replying.

Armin is supposed to be back this week, he's been on a long holiday.

I managed to find "Worms eat my garbage" tucked away in the back of the office cupboard, it's an interesting read.

I also visited the Wigglywigglers people, and they showed me how a wormery works, so I have a basic understanding of a wormery. Thanks for your help, may your plants (and worms) flourish!

Bing
Friday 9 June 2006 2.37pm
finally dragged out in the garden and have about ten bags of weeds....will now throw them in plastic wormery if i can find it....
Monday 12 June 2006 11.44am
WORM COMPOSTING WORKSHOP
Wednesday 14 June
2pm at Rockingham Estate Play Association, 10 Dickens Square
Event for Southwark residents who don't have a garden but
would still like to compost their kitchen waste at home.
Residents can learn how to use the new low-cost wormery
offered by Southwark Council to produce their own compost
for container-grown plants on a balcony, roof terrace or
patio. Anyone living in Southwark and interested in
composting is welcome.
Details & map: http://quicklink.se1direct.co.uk/?id=1144
Jac
Monday 12 June 2006 3.23pm
Ant worms in your wormery yet julie?
Monday 12 June 2006 3.25pm
Yes ... and I did poke my head in today ... not sure if it's compost I'm looking at or what ... also (have to be honest) not sure I've set it up right - think I'll be going on weds!
Wednesday 25 October 2006 2.54pm
More 5 wormeries now available (but only if you live in Southwark):
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2399

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 12 July 2007 3.09pm
You can still get wormeries from CRISP at 10 a go. The number is at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.crispej.org.uk/index.htm

(After 3 years of failed crops, I think it's time we gave up on potatoes and used the space to compost instead)

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 14 July 2007 3.33pm
My only problem with the excellent wooden wormeries available through CRISP is the plastic grille separating the compost from the drainage area. My worms nip in and out of the holes, which is fine when they're little'uns. When they get bigger, the holes are too small and the worms get stuck, sometimes tearing themselves in two to escape. Which is quite distressing. I have tried to remedy this by wrapping the grille in an old t-shirt, which works well until the shirt has itself been composted. Any other ideas?
Thursday 2 August 2007 9.44am
I neglected my wormery and the worms all died and became compost. I know, I feel terrible.

Anyone know where I can get another bucket of worms?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions