London SE1 community website

Do you want to make cider in 2005 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 38
Tuesday 4 October 2005 9.10am
Do you want me to ask around?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 9.16am
Might not be a bad idea to have a back up plan, we're only 1 month from the pressing date.

Ivanhoe, did you speak to Richard in Cheam about presses etc yet?
Tuesday 4 October 2005 10.39am
We are really just waiting on apples.

If someone could step up and say they will take charge of non-pressing action on the day (e.g. sorting out a tarpaulin to cover the presses in case it rains/remembering who wants how much juice and who's had what/etc), and someone sorts the money, then we're all done.

Tuesday 4 October 2005 1.04pm
We will check our stand/tarpaulin thingy to see if it is still rainproof - if it is, we'll bring it along. We'll let you know as soon as we know ... so that could be half-ticked on the list of things to be done that don't include the apples
Tuesday 4 October 2005 1.16pm
I don't mind keeping track of who wants how much juice.

so if you can all reply with roughly how much you want that'd be good.. in fact I'll start a new thread.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 1.57pm
a man called Tharg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still waiting on word of apples, there's been a
> very poor crop in West Gloucestershire with
> similar reports from Somerset. I'm still hoping
> we can get some from the same supplier as last
> year, but we're still waiting for a full
> assessment of what's available.

What do you suggest we do, Tharg?

We're all hoping we can get apples from the same place as last yr, but if that might not be possible then we need to take action now.

I'm in the country for the next week and a half, but after that we're away for two weeks and can't be any help to anyone as far as cider goes. I'll happily try to call round over the next week or so, and see if we can get apples from another source, but I don't want to do this is we're going to get them via your contacts in the end.

If you can give us a steer, then that would be very helpful.

[edited to say: Thanks Julie and Jon. Great.]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 4 October 2005 2.10pm by Ivanhoe.
Tuesday 4 October 2005 9.57pm
Saw Tharg tonight. He is on the case but as you may already know, it's a duff crop this year and is proving to be more difficult than last year. No one is keen to give up their apples. There may be an open option but it will involve more graft. Tharg has details and is chasing it up.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.29am
Cider applesā€¦
We can't get them from last year's supplier as they're having to buy in themselves. Some of this year's crop has been disastrous, the very dry summer has caused problems. I tried an alternative supplier who has a few apples, but he was quoting an exorbitant £200 per tonne. I know a chap in Monmouth who has a reasonable crop, but he doesn't bag the apples, they're in pallets (about 4' square and 3' deep). They won't be mixed - they're in single variety batches - some of which would make good ciders in their own right (Dabinett for example) some wouldn't, but we wouldn't know what variety we'd get until they fall off the trees. He'll deliver - but only if we order 20 tons. We would need a lorry or truck to transport pallets and a fork-lift, or we could go to Monmouth and shovel the apples into sacks ourselves - be warned - this is very hard work. I shall keep looking, but if anyone can think of anything else?
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.38am
B*gger it. I can pitch in and help carry/shovel/whatever the week before the pressing if needs be, but, as you say, £200 is a hefty price (2.5 x last year's price).

I'll call around a few people in Hfd, but I assume they're paying similar prices.

Do you think it's worth something like putting a small ad in the paper? (I'm going to email my friend on the Hfd Times)

Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.49am
Possibly, it's worth a try, but I could do a bit of shovelling too if it came to it.
Current: 10 of 38

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions