London SE1 community website

Do you want to make cider in 2005 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 38
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.54am
It's about 15 to put an advert in the Hereford Times. I reckon I'll do it.

I'll also get in touch with Helen at the 3CCPA and see if either she's got any ideas, or she can put the word out, or put a request in their newsletter (which might go out too infrequently to be of any use to us, but I'll find out).

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 10.56am
Would you consider apples from the East country rather than the West country?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 5 October 2005 10.59am by The Lady Miss Jo Jo.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 11.04am
They're (very likely to be) either eating or cooking apples your Ladyship.

You can make cider with them (like they do in Kent and Sussex, for instance), but the resulting cider will be (to my tramp's palate) a bit insipid and lack the "vintage" taste of cider made with proper cider apples (that are generally only grown in the West).

But at this rate we'll be scrumping the tree down Falmouth Road and not be fussy at all what type of apple it is.

Wednesday 5 October 2005 11.23am
Ah, you're right, Ivanhoe. Just spoke to a very nice lady who said they could do the apples for you, but they would charge 300 per ton.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 11.28am
As a guide Your Highness, we paid 80 last year (picked and bagged.)
Wednesday 5 October 2005 11.31am
Yes, I thought her price sounded high. She was very knowledgeable, though - started asking me all sorts of questions about varieties and mentioned words like "sharps" and "bittersweet". Ah well, it was worth a try!
Wednesday 5 October 2005 11.49am
I'm having a rotten day, so 12 hours of hard labour in Monmouth sounds positively appealing.
Wednesday 5 October 2005 12.30pm
We've got a (free, thanks to my friend who works there) ad in the Hereford Times next week asking for apples. Fingers crossed.

Wednesday 5 October 2005 12.32pm
Well done Ivanhoe! Give your white charger an apple!
Wednesday 5 October 2005 12.33pm
Well done Ivanhoe! Give your white charger an apple!
Current: 11 of 38

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions