London SE1 community website

Do you want to make cider in 2005 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 38
Monday 12 September 2005 10.48am
I've just taken a phone call from a very confused gentleman who wanted to buy some apple juice from me.

Despite the London SE1 name, he seemed to think that he was speaking to the owner of an orchard in the West Country.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 September 2005 11.27am
You should have sold him some James.
Monday 12 September 2005 12.53pm
How about this Thursday 15th? Pommelers Rest or the Oak?
Tuesday 13 September 2005 10.11am
Although not a cider fan (though I once had a cat called Cider - don't ask), I thought you aficionados of the golden liquid may be interested in our experience on hols last week in Asturias, northern Spain. Best of all they serve it high at arms length - without looking at the glass! Makes it all bubbly. They only serve the amount of a large gulp at a time. 2 euros a bottle and all this performance at each serving. Cider heaven I would have thought.
Tuesday 13 September 2005 10.22am
I've never been to Asturia (whereabouts did you go? did you spend long there? was there much to see? I'm very interested to go one day), but have been to Asturian bars and restaurants in other parts of Spain.

The pouring thing is, as you describe, fantastic theatre (when one of the waiters does it) and a great ice-breaker (when I try to do it and spill it all over the bar floor, which no one seems to mind really).

Lucky you. Come and make some cider with us.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 13 September 2005 10.25am
Plum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about this Thursday 15th? Pommelers Rest or
> the Oak?

Sooner the better (although recent track record of meeting in pubs is a bit poor for getting anything done) for me.

If we don't sort it out over the next week or two, then I think we'll be too late. I really want to do it again in SE1, but we're already half way through September and we have no apples, no press, etc.

Hopefully, if we have enough people who want to do it, then we can have a flurry of activity over the next week or two and get sorted.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 13 September 2005 10.33am
Just a week traversing northern Spain from San Sebastian to Oviedo. Mountains, rich countryside, and beaches. Good food. These Siderias are great fun. Maybe you could set one up. Is there a purely Cider focused bar in London?
Tuesday 13 September 2005 10.56am
Dedicated cider bars? Not yet - however, some real varieties to be had (apparently) here:
The White Swan 118 Fetter Lane, Holborn, London EC4A 1ES (A manucube or two of cider and perry)
The Well 180 St John Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1V 4JY (A manucube or two of cider and perry)
Chimes of Pimlico, 26 Churton Street, SW1V 2LP (Tel: 020 7821 7456) (English traditional resaurant some ciders and perrys)
The Head of Steam, Eversholt Street, Euston (Tel: 020 7388 2221) (A draught cider or two)
The Wenlock Arms 26 Wenlock Road, Islington, N1 7TA (Great pub a cider or three on tap)
Oakdale Arms 283 Hermitage Road, Harringay, N4 1NP (Tel: 020 8800 2013) (A draught cider or two)
Priory Arms 83 Lansdowne Way, London SW8 2PB (020 7622 1884). (Draught Thatcher's)
There are one or two others too.

Tuesday 13 September 2005 11.00am
...and yes, let's have a cider meeting.
Tuesday 13 September 2005 11.04am
I can do Thursday. The Oak at 8pm ?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 38

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions