London SE1 community website

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 47 of 47
Thursday 27 August 2020 10.25pm
Hi All,

I have been following this forum since I moved into the Strata building (also known as The Lipstick at one stage) located next to the train bridge and at the southern part of the Elephant & Castle roundabout. Because I love this area so much, I am now settling in SE17, Southwark even though I have moved on from Strata.

I may be wrong but I notice that SE17 postcode has the smallest postcode area in the whole London areas. Just a thought!
Friday 28 August 2020 10.03am
I don't know if SE17 is the smallest postcode in London but it would fit in with the original concept of allocation of postcodes which were done in alphabetical order in the Victorian age. So Walworth was given SE17 where Borough being the head office in SE got number 1 ( as did all head offices); Abbey Wood=SE2, Blackheath=SE3, Camberwell=SE5, Kennington SE11 Peckham=SE15, Rotherhithe=SE16 etc. At the time of issuing postcodes Walworth was a small area on the near outskirts of London which did not reach to the far flung places such as Sydenham which subsequently got the non-alphabetical postcode of SE26.
I'm sure you did not need to know all this, neither do other posters, but there may be one person out there who finds it interesting.
Current: 47 of 47

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions