London SE1 community website

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 46
TAK
Wednesday 17 January 2007 2.58am
Hi there

My name is Thomas and I only just moved to the Elephant two months ago.
Found this exciting forum as I was doing my neighbourhood research and been reading it ever since.
DIY is running my life right now but I hope to soon put that paintbrush and co. back into the closet and spend my time discovering the hidden gems in the neighbourhood - Driscoll House already grabbed my attention and I am sure there will be lots more....
Friday 19 January 2007 9.35am
Best part of the E&C is US!! Where do you live exactly. Wave to me on the top of Metro Central House opposite the Coronet (that's if any of the trees are still standing after yesterday's winds.. I'm rather scared coming back in mid Feb and suspect the worst).
TAK
Monday 29 January 2007 6.24pm
Hi Jackie, I moved to Draper Estate on the southern roundabout. Can't see your terrace from here as Hannibal House stands inbetween. I think the trees are fine - no need to worry!
Monday 29 January 2007 8.55pm
Hi

I'm looking for a really good place to go and dance - somewhere that isn't too cool, where you can get sweaty and no-one cares 'cos they just love the music. Like lots of indie stuff, eclectic mix from 70s - current day. Not into drum and bass or heavy metal or MOR rock. Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks
Friday 16 February 2007 1.02pm
I HATE to say it, but, Belushi's on Borough High St, or the Southwark ROoms (much nicer).
Sunday 18 February 2007 4.08pm
Hi folks, if you hadn't worked it out yet, I'm Mike, and my small-ish company (we're a co-op, actually) recently moved from Tooley Street to Maya House - we just couldn't resist the pull of the blue men. We'd been on Tooley Street since 2001-ish, and outgrown the old place, but liked SE1 so much that we wanted to stay close... and most of our staff have an easy commute to London Bridge.

Found this site while I was trying to work out the meaning of the blue men! (There is, at least, now a plaque mounted on the railings outside Maya House with the name of the installation and the artist.)

I'm a firm fan of Tas, have a soft-spot for Konditor & Cook's shortbread, and think that The Rake reminds me of the sort of small bar you get in Amsterdam (except it's not on a street corner, and isn't smoky). Like several others here, I'm starting to discover how odd the BHS Sainsbury is, since we moved.

I am a Northerner, but don't let that put you off... ;)

Cheers!
Mike
Monday 19 February 2007 8.52pm
Hi

Just found this site today, its great. I have lived in SE1, Royal Oak Yard for over 2 years now. I love the place and its great watching it change (for the better I think).
Love all the stories re [email protected] and bermondsey sq. Its great to know that people are just as curious about all the new things happening in SE1
rk
Friday 23 February 2007 4.40pm
Hello

My name is Regine Kandan and I am a student at the Architectural Association School situated at Bedford Square. I am in my 4th year and my site for my diploma project is at the area around Waterloo, encompassing the Southbank, Waterloo station, Lower Marsh and the residential community to the south. I'd love to know what residents would like improved in this area. I have read the UDP on the area but am more interested in a direct scale what the community itself feels on not just what the council wants to change in the area and more importantly what the council has failed to address. Please feel free to respond to this message or even email me.

Regine Kandan, AA School of Architecture
Friday 23 February 2007 4.44pm
Not new to the forum but this intro thing is a good idea eh? My real name is Maria and I moved to Danson Rd SE17 in 1961 (aged 3), then to Sturgeon Rd SE17 (aged 4). The three storey houses were really old with no heating or bath, and we shared with two other families - one floor each. There were nine children living in ours! We bathed in a tin bath on Fridays but many hours spent at Manor Place swimming baths meant we were generally clean. Sturgeon Rd still exists (end of Penrose St) but there are no houses there now.

We moved to Wingrave on the Heygate Estate circa 1972 when it was first built and we thought it was SO posh!!! My mother (May) worked at Driscoll House for almost 10 years. She made many friends there and had plenty of tales to tell. My three brothers and I all flew the nest but I returned to care for my mother who died in 2000. I stayed to look after my father. Unfortunately, having contracted MRSA as a result of a hip operation at St. Toms, he too died in 2004. Now they're demolishing the Heygate so that's all my significant childhood homes gone.

I guess I'm a bit of an interloper given that my address is SE17 but I attended Notre Dame, Southwark in SE1 for 7 years so I do know the area!

No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive. - Little Willys
Friday 23 February 2007 4.52pm
Regine

Welcome; I think you'll get a better response to your questions about Waterloo if you start a new thread over in the main section of the forum.

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 46

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions