London SE1 community website

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 46
Monday 30 April 2007 7.43pm
Hi all,

My real name is Betsy, I'm new to the forum, have lurked for months now and wanted to finally become part of the community. We've lived in SE1 for almost 5 months now and are loving it. Not least because of this website, which has to be the best and most active community website I've encountered. It was invaluable in helping us decide what part of London to move to! Just hope (like so many) we can afford to buy a place and really settle in....

Betsy (aka curatrix)
Friday 4 May 2007 10.14pm
Welcome firefly, betsy and matt - the Forum is a fantastic resource and definitely contributes to making SE1 one of the best parts of London to live in.

Do head over the the SE1 Discussion and dip your toes in when you get a chance. There are also regular socials organised by people on the board if you are interested.

As far as buying a place here is concerned, it is possible to find some bargains around the SE1 borders to the south...

Chris
Sunday 6 May 2007 11.22am
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join your forum.

My name is David and I hail from Burtonwood in Warrington.

However, my wife Fiona's family (on her dad Ron's side)come from Southwark, Walworth, Elephant and Castle, Old Kent Road, SE17 etc (my geography is hopeless but these are just some places Ron used to talk about - they could be miles apart or in the same street?).

I am trying hard to trace some of my wife's roots. Unfortunately, Fiona only knows snatchings about her dad's family. A positive though, is that Ron left her dozens of old photos from 1920's to 1940's taken in SE17 are -he just neglected to write who and where most of them are on the backs.
Ron's name was Wilkinson and he was born in 1921. His mum was Alice Wlikinson(nee Missen)born in 1882 and died in 1949 (Alice had a sister Ginny and other siblings). Ron had brothers John, Tom, Eric, Sid and Bobby all born between 1909 and 1924. They lived in a flat at Rodney Place Building after moving from Munton Road where he was born. I have Ron's class photo from 1927 at Victory Place school when he was six yrs old. I have pictures of Rodney Place Building rooftop and many more.
Is there a genealogical online group just for this area? Or is there even a thread within this forum where members share photos and exchange thoughts and feedback on family history etc?
In fact, now that I have written the above, I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty on this Introduction thread of asking for a little bit of feedback. Does the Missen/Wilkinson family ring any bells with anyone out there?
Kind regards
David
Tuesday 8 May 2007 8.26am
Welcome David - can I suggest that you start a new thread over in the main SE1 Discussion part of the forum to ask about your family history?

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/posting/1

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 5.22pm
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are new to this forum. So far we are finding the site useful and entertaining. We look forward to hearing more about the Southbank Statues (We posted a discussion re this earlier).

Debs and Nick
Friday 11 May 2007 2.01pm
He may have mentioned East Lane market? or really East Street..
he may well have worked down ' the lane' helping pull the barrows out. It was a vibrant wonderful place, a market still is there but in a lesser form.. or gone to Yaldings butchers which was opposite The Rose and crown near english martyrs church hall. He probably went to Paragon school after in searles road..the Missen name is unusual i'm sure someone will remember that..
Friday 11 May 2007 4.05pm
Hello, my name is David, I moved into Borough about 2 months ago and I do something vaguely brainy in construction. I was born in Ireland and bred & schooled in East London. My outlook is definitely contemporary but sadly my politics are a good 400 years out of date :(. I like almost evrything about London except those cheesy shallow free papers that clutter up the tube.

I'm continually caught on the horns of a dilema - I truely respect my Councillors' democratic mandate while simultaneously I despair at their total inability to run anything more complicated than an egg and spoon race.

I expect my Council tax to be spent on discharging a local authorities' statutory obligations efficiently and effectively - anything left over I'm happy to be spent on street parties, general silliness and what ever loony scheme they can fund with the 50p surplus.

I love a good party, but in the absence of anything at all resembling a good party, I'd rather throw a decent party.

I expect my politicians to lie to me, but I'm still rightously miffed when they do (bye bye Tone, good riddance to lying rubbish)

I coo at babies, am kind to small children, polite to old ladies, and give up my seat to pregnant woman - but I do still smoke in the street, and am still sceptical about the causes of global warming.

I'm handy with a screwdriver, I shout at Radio 4, I don't care who lily allen is and I don't have a space on myspace

I do like a bit of community argie bargie, am fond of good causes but much prefer tipping at windmills

enough maybe I think, by way of introduction. Hi.
Monday 14 May 2007 2.18pm
Thank you for the welcome Chris.

I would love to attend one of the socials. I will cruise that section and the others as well.

Speaking of property, we have sold our flat and are contemplating one in Lambeth Towers. The communal areas are a bit worn and Lambeth council seems to have a bad reputation. Any opinions about the block?

Kind regards,

Firefly
Monday 14 May 2007 2.25pm
Hi David,

I really liked your intro. LOL I agree about the free papers. They're always blocking our paths and sticking their papers in our faces. I never take them. Oh well...

Have a nice day!

:)

Firefly
Monday 14 May 2007 10.09pm
Firefly wrote:
Speaking of property, we have sold our flat and are contemplating one in Lambeth Towers. The communal areas are a bit worn and Lambeth council seems to have a bad reputation. Any opinions about the block?

Probably best to ask this over in the main SE1 Discussion area.
Current: 9 of 46

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions