London SE1 community website

Adult careers guidance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 6 October 2006 4.13pm
Are you going for a drink after work?

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 7 October 2006 2.02am
I did. Went for a drink after work, that is.

Also, four years ago I changed career. Not a drastic change (I do the same sort of thing, really), but moved from a commercial company to an educational charity, and had to sell myself on the basis of my transferable skills, rather than my commercial experience.

Am happy to chat about it next time I see you.
Sunday 8 October 2006 12.58am
sorry Ivanhoe - didn't leave work till late(ish) they went home and stayed in in the warm.

i will be free for a short time tomorrow afternoon if that helps?
(am running the Nike 10K at 11:05 (finish at 12 is)) in Hyde Park, and am going out in the evening (about half 7), and there is washing up to do... come round if you want - i've got cider!)
Monday 9 October 2006 11.33am
Cheers, but I was busy all weekend. I was nervous on Friday night, as Hull were playing in the semi finals that evening (which they won), so the idea of a quick drink before the game was attractive. Hope to see you soon anyway

Monday 23 October 2006 7.01pm
Hi Ivanhoe, I've recently been to a private career counsellor, it is a very expensive business, we're talking 75/100 per hour, and maybe it would be worth it if you have had a traditional career path (i havn't!)but i have also used a new service that learn direct are offering which is a phone service which i personally found more useful. They followed up my phone call with an 'action plan' e-mail with all the relevant contact details and they also arrange to call back at a later date to see how you're doing, i would recomend trying them before going the private route. You'll find the careers counsellor number on www.learndirect.co.uk
Friday 10 November 2006 3.21pm
are you still thinking Ivanhoe?

and are you up for a quick pint after work tonight?
Friday 10 November 2006 11.14pm
Good idea, but it's too late (I've just got back after said pints)

It would be nice to meet up soon though

Monday 13 November 2006 7.53am
Ivanhoe, apart from cider making, do you have any hobbies? You read, would you like to be a literary agent or be in publishing for example? Cider making probably does have a professional side, but JonR will be sick with jealousy..he might even have a joint venture with you and Tharg....but as Lazyi said, the most unexpected corners of your life can suddenly get another perspective.
Tuesday 2 January 2007 7.46pm
I was reading this threat for some time and decided to ask a question as you people are so nice and helpful.

My husband lost his job a year ago ( a company where he worked as IT trainer closed down) and so he decided to get deeper inside the IT business and began studying Java programming at home + doing Java online courses. He passed level 1 and he is almost ready to take Sun certified exam in Java programming but he has also been trying to get inside some company to get practical experience with Java. The problem is, that he has got knowledge, but no certificate yet and also no experience. He would do anything with Java, even voluntary for few hours a week; but every company he applies to and sends his CV they are looking for experienced Java people.

I would like to ask if someone here works for or your company employs some Java programmers, can you please advise us how to get in Java business with no experience? Thank you.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions