London SE1 community website

Exchange bureau hidden charges

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 May 2007 12.06pm
I travelled to Brussels last week, and I needed a bit of cash to pay for my taxi at arrival. So I innocently got 150euros from the ICE exchange bureau at Waterloo station, paying with my Visa debit card. I have just checked my bank account and they have actually taken another 2% (2.32), without telling me. It does not show anything on their receipt. I think that is a bit rich as they had already taken a 4.50 commission. I have now been told that if I had paid in cash, they would not have charged this additional 2%. In total 6.82 for exchanging 111.00, that is a total 6% charge, what a rip off! I am glad I did not need a larger amount...
Saturday 12 May 2007 7.13pm
Get yourself an account with Nationwide. They make no charge for cash machine/credit card/debit card use abroad. And they do not hike the turn on their exchange rates in return.
Saturday 12 May 2007 10.43pm
Never buy cash with cards - you will always get charged over the odds, and unfortunately this has always been the case. It will be your card issuer charging for the cash, not the exchange agency; this would be why it did not appear in your receipt.
Monday 14 May 2007 10.25am
I have an account with Nationwide, the problem is I never find a cash dispenser accepting their bloody card...So I always have to use my Barclays visa debit card abroad. This time I needed money quickly to get a taxi and I did not have time to look around for a cash dispenser at Brussels station.
What I don't understand is that I have used my card many times before at airports to get currencies (up to 2000) and I was never charged any additional fee.
What I deplore is that they could let people know that an additional fee is applicable when you get currencies on your debit card.

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions