London SE1 community website

medicals

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 May 2007 2.06pm
I have to have one for a new job-what exactly do they do and test for-I know I have to have a drugs test but not sure beyond that!!
Wednesday 2 May 2007 3.20pm
General physical fitness is usually the key concern: things like your cholesterol level, your resting pulse, signs of potentially debilitating ailments. It can actually be a useful way of identifying a problem and nipping it in the bud, or of being reassured that you are in good health.
Wednesday 2 May 2007 4.09pm
are there needles involved ???

guess what i hate!
Thursday 3 May 2007 9.46am
Possibly, but not necessarily. The main issue is identifying health risks that make you a potentially unreliable or ineffective employee or mean you will be expensive to insure. You might have to give a blood sample, but a urine sample may suffice.
Thursday 3 May 2007 11.46am
What they test for also depends on your age. Medicals are usually more comprehensive for the over-40s than they are for the under-40s.
Thursday 3 May 2007 12.12pm
thanks all

I went for it this morning and did not have to give blood as my medical history did not warrant it but some people do I gather. Had to give urine samples which have now gone to be tested for drink and drug dependancy but not expecting any problems there (Well i would be most surprised if there was!!)

Was not as bad as i was expecting to be honest so fingers crossed!!
Thursday 3 May 2007 5.27pm
will you still get the job if you're not drink and drug dependent?

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions