London SE1 community website

The Apprentice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Thursday 17 May 2007 2.36pm
I thought, as usual, that the inability of the contestants to have a sensible discussion about strategy before embarking on their design stage was flabbergasting. I was quite impressed by Simon's game enthusiasm for making an eejit of himself by dancing for the promo, though. I think he might win this series; he seems to combine a fair degree of common sense with a capacity for getting on with other people. For instance, the insufferable Tre finds him laughable, but actually quite likes him. That's a feat to be proud of. I can't imagine Alan Sugar will put up with pouty Katie for much longer, and I have to say that of the others who remain several seem far too prickly to be Alan's cup of tea. The winner, both times so far, has been someone amiable and bland.
Thursday 17 May 2007 5.51pm
The only reason to watch it is to see how completely useless they all are isn't it? Jadine was totally embarrassing with her 'we all live on the street' comments or whatever it was. I agree with your comments about Simon being a possible winner, he's definitely one of the more amiable of the motley crew they have on there, although I also think it's hilarious that he always seems to be slagging someone off just as they walk through the door after the firing.
Wednesday 13 June 2007 10.49pm
Don't know if you've noticed, but he always seems to pick the younger finalists. I would've chosen Kristina myself.

Those were interesting buildings they presented, but way too bulky for that site, and would never get planning permission in reality.
Thursday 14 June 2007 7.28am
As always, Simon got completely overpowered in the task by Tre and just followed his team in whatever they decided. He however had the intelligence to realise that "the Wave" was a way sexier project that the boat concept he originally though of. Kristina, on the contrary, proved a great project manager. However the design her team came up with was frankly quite ugly and lacked inspiration.
In the end anyway surallan made his choice not on that task, but on the 6 month probation period he gave both finalists. Maybe Simon was better than Kristina in the end...
Anyway I can't help but wonder why would people make fools of themselves in front of the nation, jeopardizing future career prospects (in the case of, say, Katie), for "only" 100k, with one of the possibly most unpleasant and irritating bosses on Earth?
Friday 15 June 2007 9.49am
Sugar goes for the younger candidate because he wants someone malleable. Part of Simon's appeal - btw I tipped him on this thread many moons ago, so am feeling a teeny bit smug (but only a teeny bit) - was that he is someone whom the boss can mould. I don't think Kristina would have been so pliable.

The reason people like Katie go on for it is that the massive media exposure creates opportunities for earning way in excess of the 100K on offer for the winner. They're not that fussed whether they win, so long as they get the attention. I genuinely felt the two in the final were the ones who wanted it the most.
Friday 15 June 2007 11.33am
Agreed ref. Katie, Longlaner (and kudos indeed for predicting Simon's victory!!). However she played a very dangerous game. She's alienated almost everyone in this country (except me, who just loved her for being so blunt). If she's not offered a TV show or something, she might have difficulties finding a job now that she's known as "evil Katie".
I was quite bemused though when surallan said on BBC2 after the finale that he would have fired her early had he known what she was up to. Seems to me that this man built his fortune with the same bully, aggressive behaviour as Katie's. A man whose business ethics (or lack of) are stuck in the 80's suddenly got concerned wth politically correctness? Come on!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions