London SE1 community website

USA Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 34
Saturday 27 September 2008 12.05pm
Richard Stompidou wrote:
Martinr. My fellow Obaman. Let me try and work this out. Governing a small state (Alaska - Palin) is a matter for derision; presumably governing a slightly larger state (Arkansas - Bill Clinton) is ok. Governing a big state (Florida - Jeb Bush) must be even better. And a mega-state (Texas - George W Bush)... that's the best qualification of all? But actually, no executive experience is better than any of that, especially if you've been arsing around in Congress for 100 years like Joe Biden?
Don't get me wrong. I agree with you that Palin is an unsettling VP choice. No worse than many other VP candidates in history, but not a great choice. But the population of Alaska is really neither here nor there.

OK Point taken. I'll put my toys back in the pram :-)
Saturday 27 September 2008 6.44pm
Sunday 28 September 2008 4.44am
Stephen Fry wrote:
I have often felt a hot flare of shame inside me when I listen to my fellow Britons casually jeering at the perceived depth of American ignorance, American crassness, American isolationism, American materialism, American lack of irony and American vulgarity. Aside from the sheer rudeness of such open and unapologetic mockery, it seems to me to reveal very little about America and a great deal about the rather feeble need of some Britons to feel superior.
Ok, if this is about swapping youtube clips, here's my offering (much profanity):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JmUEMQ6zY
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.14am
Your clip starts with a notorious piece of bad faith from Charlie Gibson and the clip's editor.

"So this woman believes that starting a war with Iraq was a mission from God" evidenced by a quote edited to cut the preceding words "pray that". Palin expressed exactly what Lincoln, FDR and Kennedy expressed - that she didn't know God's mind, but prayed that America was acting in accord with it. The trouble with making a case in bad faith is that one's whole argument is tainted.
Sunday 28 September 2008 11.48am
A great article on Newsweek -

http://www.newsweek.com/id/161204
Sunday 28 September 2008 12.26pm
Sorry. I deleted my reply here to MartinR on experience Senator v Leader of the Opposition and Chipping Campden v Alaska - too humdrum.
Sunday 28 September 2008 6.38pm
Tuesday 30 September 2008 7.27am
I have not contributed to this thread for a while because I am not competitive and I don't want or need to be an expert on American elections.

But, keeping track of the developments on here, I am somewhat puzzled. It is clear that Markadams99 has a different political point of view, but he is an intelligent and skilled debater- it must be said.

Having watched the youtube video's of the Sarah Palin interviews, posted by wjfox2004, I just cannot imagine that even die hard, but intelligent and competent Republicans can defend the decision of putting Sarah Palin up for running mate. I found her performance, if one may call it that way, embarrassing. And I even felt sorry for her, as the poor woman is asked to things that are well above her station and she is ridiculed by so many.

So, Markadams99- help me: are you defending the cause regardless or do you really think Sarah Palin would potentially be a good president. Mind you, I am not attacking you- it is just that your views along with your eloquence seem to be inconsistent with the idea of defending this well meaning hockey mum.
Current: 19 of 34

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions