London SE1 community website

USA Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 34
Thursday 4 September 2008 12.29am
maurits wrote:
I just cannot imagine that the Republicans don't have any problem with this teenage pregnant girl.
This from Peggy Noonan in the Wall Street Journal may explain it: "when you forget you're a Bubblehead you get in trouble, you misjudge things. For one thing, you assume evangelical Christians will be appalled and left agitated by the circumstances of Mrs. Palin's daughter. But modern American evangelicals are among the last people who'd judge her harshly. It is the left that is about to go crazy with Puritan judgments; it is the right that is about to show what mellow looks like. Religious conservatives know something's wrong with us, that man's a mess. They are not left dazed by the latest applications of this fact. "This just in - there's a lot of sinning going on out there" is not a headline they'd understand to be news."
Thursday 4 September 2008 2.27am
I was disappointed by the relatively small poll bounce Obama had after the convention. Wonder if Biden was a good choice.

Am just watching the Republican convention now, Rudolph Giuliani is a brilliant orator, whatever your political stance. I thought he is supposed to only ever say “Noun, verb, 9/11. Noun, verb, 9/11…” Curious about Palin, but I don't think I'll stay up that late. Hang on, here she comes.
Thursday 4 September 2008 7.00am
And, what do you make of her?
Thursday 4 September 2008 8.40am
As Maurits and I discussed via Skype this morning, I think she's well scary. Her speech writer gave her a few good gags, but if I think of the horrible scenario (and one we have witnessed in my life time more than once) of her having to take on the Presidency overnight....heaven help America and the rest of the world.
Thursday 4 September 2008 8.42am
markadams99 wrote:
Maybe the attitudinising stems from insecurity about Obama's farcical lack of qualification.

What qualifies someone for the post of President of the United States?
Thursday 4 September 2008 8.49am
Well I saw the speech and it was brilliant. This is what appeals to the mid-west: a no nonsense, down to earth woman with great common sense. A'Hockey Mum' with a sense of humour. Whoever is the casting director for the Grand Old Party, deserves a bonus. And I am saying, casting, because that is what it is.

But I found it scary. Light as a feather and no, absolutely no intellectual gravitas.

All style, no substance. Having said that, the elections are more and more interesting to follow and the democrats ain't there yet.....
Thursday 4 September 2008 9.06am
I find it terrifying that a woman who believes that the Earth is only 6-12,000 years and ignores all the evidence to the contrary could potentially be President of the most powerful nation on the planet.
Thursday 4 September 2008 9.29am
martinr wrote:
I find it terrifying that a woman who believes that the Earth is only 6-12,000 years and ignores all the evidence to the contrary could potentially be President of the most powerful nation on the planet.

Hear, hear...

Especially at a time when our civilisation needs to embrace science more than ever - global warming is THE single most important issue facing the world right now.
Thursday 4 September 2008 9.47am
yes, as Neil says, what are the qualifications that you need to stand for president - I know that you have to be a naturally born US citizen (which is why Arny can never be President, under the current rules), and presumably, like over here, you have to have the backing of a party, or a certain amount of funding, but other than that...? at least 5 GCSEs grade c or above? at least 3 A levels? a diploma, degree, masters? (please insert US equivalents)

apparently none of these if past presidents are anything to go by.

wjfox - you and I are going to disagree again, I don't know where you got that statement from about global warming, if you didn't make it up please supply a reference, but there are bigger issues than global warming - poverty, sickness, food shortage, homelessness are a few to start with.
I imagine you think that we should be trying to (and can) 'solve' global warming as well? News flash for you here - we can't solve it, it's happening. We should be concentrating on how to cope with the affects (that will definitely happen) when they happen firstly, and how to try and slow down the changes (if at all possible) as a secondary concern.

and to stray back on topic - I quite like Palin, if she was running (for president) I'd vote for her, she'd be a breath of fresh air for the US. I don't think she'd last long though.
Thursday 4 September 2008 10.09am
JonR wrote:
and to stray back on topic - I quite like Palin, if she was running (for president) I'd vote for her, she'd be a breath of fresh air for the US. I don't think she'd last long though.

The comment wasn't really off topic as Palin doesn't believe in man-made global warming. I didn't realise she knew a whole load more on the subject than the vast majority of scientists who believe otherwise and the thousands of scientific papers that show otherwise. I look forward to her detailed analysis of why they're all wrong and she's right.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 34

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions