London SE1 community website

store cupboard/cheap recipes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 8 October 2008 1.55pm
Some weekends, I would clear my fridge by throwing all vege (when they are about to expire) into a hotpot. Stir fry some king prawns (2.99)with shells (to add natural sweetness) with few drops of sesame oil, tiny bit of ginger(to remove fishy taste but not too much otherwise it will remove sweetness), whole pepper corn and whole garlic before throwing all into the hotpot to serve 3 hungry people (including myself). Add a pinch of salt if needed at the end. Altogether it's a nutritious meal which would cost about the same as a large latte from starbuck. Glass noodles (cheap and far less fattening) can be added - optional.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 2.18pm
JTOO - how to cook rice?

put one measure of basmati in a pan, add two measure of cold water. bring to boil, simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. cover and turn off heat, and let 'steam' for 10 minutes. all water should be gone, no need to drain. rice should be soft and cooked.

half a mug of rice, just enough for two people.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 10.14pm
The most common mistake I've seen people making when cooking rice is stirring it. One stir at the beginning is enough. Any more releases too much starch, makes gluey stuff.

Dried lentils and mung beans are cheap and can be sprouted.
Wednesday 8 October 2008 10.27pm
Wash rice until water is clear. This takes about 3 washes to remove the starch. How much water needed depends on the type of rice. Thai/Chinese fragrance rice will need more water. Basmati will need less.
Water level should be just above your knuckles when you place your palm flat onto the bottom of the pot - for fragance rice. Never stir when cooking rice. All water will be taken by the rice. No draining required.

If you can't finish your rice,leave the remaining portion for a day or 2 in the fridge before making a good egg fried rice:-)
Wednesday 8 October 2008 10.33pm
Oh I forgot about the washing. To add, the water should be cold.
Thursday 9 October 2008 11.44am
This Chatter forum will be the death of me..every day after visiting I get hungrier by the second, and fatter by the day as I am determined to try all recipes!
Wednesday 3 December 2008 9.59pm
Hi Jan - I have just seen Frugal food in WH Smith,50% off! I still haven't seen a second hand one but you could nip into a WHS and have a peek if you are still on the lookout.
Thursday 4 December 2008 9.24am
Hey Jan, Two mackerel fillets from East St (~1.50), covered in oats and linseeds from the cupboard, baked in a high heat for ten minutes or so, so the fish is moist and its coat crunchy. Served with runny mash. OOOOOHH Lovely!
Monday 8 December 2008 7.04pm
Chicken stew thingie - i cook this for my family every week without fail and they love it

Fry a red onion in olive oil, Add chicken bits and some streaky bacon.
Once cooked add a tin of cannelinni beans/borlotti beans and a tin of tomatoes. Add some fresh tomatoes. Add some veg if you want - sometimes i put in new potatoes and broccoli. If feeling flush add some wine. Cook for twenty mins and serve with bread/wraps. It's yummy.
Tuesday 9 December 2008 8.08am
chicken stew thingy ummm..Ken did you buy the whole mackerel and fillet it your self? if you did buy the fillets in east lane, was it the stall or shop?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions