London SE1 community website

store cupboard/cheap recipes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 15 December 2008 12.42pm
Sausage Salad - we practically lived on this when I was a student. Grill some sausages and snip into bite-size pieces;chop up red and or/green/yellow peppers, garlic and spring onions (using all the onion, not just the white bit) and fry in a little oil, adding the sausage bits at the end so they slurp up the oniony, garlic-ness. Cook and drain some pasta - wholewheat is good. Mix everything together in a bowl. Stir in several large dollops of plain yoghurt. If feeling flush add black olives. Great eaten hot or cold.
Monday 15 December 2008 7.10pm
Jan sorry for the delay in responding, been at a Tooting wedding!! I always buy whole fish and fillet myself, but the shop on East Street (next to The Bell) will do this for you. They're really nice guys.
Friday 30 January 2009 5.03pm
So tonight I am cooking ox cheeks. Got a kilo for three quid, half a bottle of Guinness (so much better than the draft), carrots and onions. Slow cooked for 4 hours in the oven. Serving with mash and savoy cabbage. Feeding all five of us for just over a fiver and getting a glass of stout as well. In these troubled times things like this make me happy and warm.
Tuesday 10 February 2009 10.36am
Ken, where did you get your ox cheeks from? Was it local? your menu sounds absolutely delicious...sorry for the delay too..:-)
Wednesday 11 February 2009 12.47pm
Me too! I want ox cheeks!

Richard Mabey has written another book called 'The full English cassoulet'. In it is an idea about making a stock pot. He tells you how to start by frying some bits of raw meat and bones then adding water and other stuff. Basically it sounds vile, but is a very useful thing - you can add almost everything but you must bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes a day which means it is OK to eat for ages (weeks!) without refrigeration, though he says he only keeps his for about a week. I do mine in a large preserving pan with a lid. I start by frying a couple of onions in bacon fat, then adding some meat and frying for a bit, then throwing in a couple of pints of water, seasoning well and adding a bit of tomato puree (not too much) some stock or stock cubes, diced fresh vegetables and let it all simmer. For a bit of flavour smoked paprika is a winner. You can add boiling ring (sausage), and fresh herbs and boiling bacon leftovers are good. Anything but do not combine fish and meat! Only start putting beans and lentils in towards the end as it gets stronger by the day and more concentrated. I sometimes have to add extra water. Anyway it is great served as a hearty soup in big bowls in this cold weather with chunks of home made soda bread and cheese grated over the top.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Wednesday 11 February 2009 5.44pm
Aah the combinatin of adding fish and meat...reminds me of the day I decided to make a chowder, chicken with pork in a stockpot, simmered slowly then made the mistake of adding smoked haddock left it out all night when I lifted the lid all was revealed...a bubbling toxic soup!
When I tell people as children we had a stockpot sitting on the stove for a week or so adding bits and pieces what ever we had available boiling it up each day to kill bacteria etc., they laugh at me!

Glad to see someone else does it too :-)
Wednesday 11 February 2009 5.50pm
To tell you the truth, I had not done this for years until I found it in Richard Mabey's book. I knew you could continually cook things from Elizabeth David's description of the cassoulet of Castelnaudary which was in the oven for many years apparently!
More cheapies: mashed potato with mashed smoked mackerel, lemon juice and plain yoghourt all mixed up and seasoned with herbs, topped with cheese and cooked in the oven.

Fish cakes made with mash and drained pilchards and egg binding floured and put in fridge until use - kids seem to like them.

My son's favourite "pink pudding": Tin of evap left in fridge overnight whipped until thick next day and added to a red jelly made from cubes made up with about half a pint of water, whole thing back in fridge overnight and sprinkled before serving with hundreds and thousands. (Well, he was very young).

Thursday 12 February 2009 11.10pm
Jan, Chavender. The ox cheeks came from Waitrose at Gloucester Road, close to work. But they are doing it at all their stores I think, under one of the best initiatives that I've seen in supermarkets for ages. Forgotten Cuts. Old-style, lesser-known cuts of beef, pork and lamb just like we all used to eat as kids, beef skirt, feather steak and pork neck fillet. All cheap, even at Waitrose. Closer to home, I buy lots of fantastic high quality, excellent value meat, and quite possibly the best sausages on the planet, from Suffolk Meats on Great Suffolk Street.

No connection to either Waitrose or Suffolk Meats.
Friday 13 February 2009 9.28am
Ken, thanks for that. Pity Ocado don't do it as that is how I do my Waitrose shopping. Suffolk Meats is certainly very popular locally. I certainly remember buying feather steak when young - it was the only steak I could afford, and great after a bit of a bashing!

Friday 13 February 2009 1.33pm
Oh for a piece of skirt..braised slowly with veg then ate, or made into a pie...I'm supposed to be on a diet, then I come to this site and all food memories rear their beautiful heads! oh for some smoked bacon bones too, you can buy bacon pieces to at Asda, very good value for suet and onion pudding.Cut the meat off and stew thew the bones for a soup with split pease/lentils.

It would be too muc to hope that Waitrose at canary wharf would do ox cheek...i'll phone later..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions