London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2009

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 36
Thursday 26 February 2009 2.23pm
nomad wrote:
So it is Secret Scripture then!
and it's excellent (IMHO). I finished it last night and really enjoyed it.

If anyone needs to borrow a copy then yell - first come first served.
Thursday 26 February 2009 4.46pm
Yes please! Can I get it off you on Weds? Thanks everso x
Friday 27 February 2009 10.35am
I won't be able to make the bookclub on the 4th as I had to make this really difficult decission between bookclub and going to Paris, and Paris won ;o)
Jac
Friday 27 February 2009 12.56pm
After Sane James had a temporay insane moment and sneaked in early it's now my turn to recommend 3 books to choose from at next weeks meeting. and the nominations are:

Couples - John Updike
An intoxicating yet sensitive novel about the sexual experiences of ten couples from Tarbox, New England. Well-to-do, sociable, articulate but dangerously unfulfilled; they play word games in the evening and adultery all year round.
I read his rabbits series years ago and although i dont remember them i do remember really enjoying them so though it might be good to read one of his other books.

The Great Gatsb y- F Scott Fitzgerald
Jay Gatsby is the man who has everything. But one thing will always be out of his reach ... Everybody who is anybody is seen at his glittering parties. Day and night his Long Island mansion buzzes with bright young things drinking, dancing and debating his mysterious character. For Gatsby - young, handsome, fabulously rich - always seems alone in the crowd, watching and waiting, though no one knows what for. Beneath the shimmering surface of his life he is hiding a secret: a silent longing that can never be fulfilled. And soon this destructive obsession will force his world to unravel. -I fancied reading this as a result of reading double bind!

Oliver Twist -Charles Dickens
Needs no introduction but I have not actually read the book and only know the story from the more sanitized musical version/TV productions. So this book has been on my list of books i must read for some time.
Sunday 1 March 2009 10.32am
Wow, some well worn classics...anyone who hasnt read these should definitely read all three. I think Gatsby is one of THE great novels, and it's very short which makes it easy - unlike Oliver Twist or indeed any Dickens - V E R Y long. Couples - it'll be interesting to see if it's dated..I read it a million years ago when it was thought very groundbreaking but who knows how it reads now.
Sunday 1 March 2009 10.59am
I'm afraid I will not be able to make it to book club this week. After a stressful wait of over 3 months for work to arrive, it finally does so this week. It's a shame as I enjoyed The Double Bind & was looking forward to the discussion
Monday 2 March 2009 11.03am
i'm afraid i'll be shirking too this month - I can't make wednesday afterall.

for what it's worth, i found the Double Bind to be really creative, entwining stories within stories in an intriguing way.

and my choice of the three would definitely be The Great Gatsby - to continue the theme.

Plum - as I won't be there on wednesday, can you PM me your address and I'll drop Secret Scripture round for you
Tuesday 3 March 2009 10.00pm
I'm afraid I can't make it as well - and I do regret it as I liked the Double Bind very much. Actually, I digged out my copy of The Great Gatsby after I finished and it's now on my list of books to read in the near future - so I would support it as the next book!
Jac
Wednesday 4 March 2009 9.58am
So is anyone going tonight? I plan to be there with a friend but not sure what time we will finish work so may run a little late
Wednesday 4 March 2009 11.39am
MrsR and I will be there tonight from about 7.30
Current: 10 of 36

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions