London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2009

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 36
Tuesday 16 December 2008 7.11pm
Ooooh very chuffed about chosing a Valerie Martin book, she's amazing. I thought "Property" was just outstanding.
Friday 2 January 2009 7.38pm
Looking forward to seeing (most of) you on the 14th. Jackie, I'm pea green! Happy New Year to you all.
Monday 5 January 2009 1.33am
Dont think Pea Green is quite your colour Plum...love from Buenos Aires,and the professor has read the book too (The Book Thief).
Monday 5 January 2009 12.06pm
Hey there,
I'm interested in joining a book group in the area and noticed that you are meeting up on Jan 14th. Is it ok to come along and what time do you start?
Cheers, Una
Tuesday 6 January 2009 12.11pm
Course it's OK - the more the merrier. We meet in The Brittania on Kipling Street from around 7:30 onwards. We tend to try and occupy the sofa's on teh left hand side just behind the bar. Otherwise just ask the bar staff, they tend to know who we are.

I will be there, but might be later - can anyone ensure the bar staff can direct any new comers to the right area?
Friday 9 January 2009 11.27am
I'm new to the area too, and was going to go to a bookclub in Brixton, but seeing as this is around the corner I'd like to turn up too(?) (Assuming I can get a hold of the book and read it in time). I'll see you there! Thanks
Jac
Friday 9 January 2009 12.57pm
SE1 book club is always happy for new people to come along so we look forward to seeing some new faces in 2009. We usually meet first wed of the month but this month is an exception. Just to make it completely clear next week we will be talking about Shakespeare by Bill Bryson and choosing the book for the March meeting. We usually do this by taking it in turns (alphabetically by user name) to shortlist 3 book for consideration and then vote on which book to read at the meeting. Who's turn is it after Chustler to nominate the books?

We dont take ourselves too seriously so if you haven't had the chance to read the book by next week do feel free to come along anyway. The first week in feb we will be talking about Mary Reilly - Valerie Martin.

I shall be there wed about 8pm just can't seem to get my act together to get there by 7.30pm see you there.
Jac
Friday 9 January 2009 1.03pm
Jac wrote:
Who's turn is it after Chustler to nominate the books?

Gillian ? Have i missed anyone before that?
Friday 9 January 2009 2.08pm
I've got the book but I think I'm going to have to miss again due to a houseguest.
Tuesday 13 January 2009 11.45am
This coming Wednesday - from 7.30pm, The Brittania pub, Kipling St. Talking about Shakespeare - Bill Bryson.

For any new comers, please be aware that as several of us tend to go straight from work, we usually order food. It's very nice food, large portions, and reasonably priced. Not to put anyone off, but it's a lot more like a monthly social than a literary book club - don't get me wrong, the book will be discussed, but probably not as much as, say what we've all been up to in the last month, what was good on TV, SE1 forum gossip, and how nice the food is.

so if you want 4 hours of solid discussion on the prose, reading between the lines, the why's and wherefores of certain choices of phrase used, then this may not be for you. However, if you want to meet up in a nice atmosphere once a month to discuss a book that we've all read (one which you probably wouldn't have thought of reading yourself), then please do give us a try - you might surprise yourself.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 36

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions