London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2009

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 36
Tuesday 13 January 2009 6.54pm
Hope to be there with Mr N, I am half way through the Book, I am sure I heard it on the Radio ages ago...now how did it end! I managed to get a copy of Mary Reilly on the Green Metropolis site, 3.75 and very fast delivery.
Wednesday 14 January 2009 8.27am
Laphroaig wrote:
I've got the book but I think I'm going to have to miss again due to a houseguest.

Bring your house guest?

I think I will be able to make it, but likely not before 8:30....
Jac
Wednesday 14 January 2009 2.56pm
So who is shortlisting the books tonight?
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.37am
I discovered last night that it was me who was supposed to come up with the shortlist last night so I 'll do that in the next couple of days. Don't worry I'll get the hang of it soon.

Gill
Thursday 15 January 2009 11.14am
Last night was an excellent evening - great turn out from SE1! Lovely to see so many SE1ers (new & old) at the Britannia. I don't remember discussing much about Shakespeare or Bill Bryson though ...

See you all next month!
Thursday 15 January 2009 12.29pm
It was a great evening last night,lovely to see everyone and to meet the new SE1ers. So much interesting discussion that I am sure neither Bill Bryson or Shakespeare would have minded that they only got a brief mention.
Thursday 15 January 2009 2.35pm
I have chosen 3 books so please let me know which you would prefer.

Somebody (I think it was John) recommended a good website for book summaries but I didn't write it down so here goes.

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalin
According to The Book Bag this is a gripping and tense psychological thriller full of twists and turns. The writing is excellent and characterisation good. Higly recommended.

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
The Book Bag - Short, taut and piercingly sharp despite elaborate and formal language, this comulsively readable and very skilfully written tale of one man's experience and disillusionment with the American Dream in the wake of 9/11 comes highly recommeneded. The ambiguous ending is a master stroke.

Sea of Poppies by Amitar Ghosh
The back cover - On an old slaving ship fate has thrown together a truly divers cast of Indians and Wsterners. As their old family ties are washed away they come to view themselves as ship brothers. Against the backdrop of the Opium Wars an unlikely dynasty is born which will span continents, races and generations.
Thursday 15 January 2009 4.50pm
Sorry I missed it--my houseguest and I just got back from Paris late yesterday afternoon and we ended up not going out as we were too tired. Sounds like there was a great turnout, though!

All three suggested books sound interesting, but The Double Bind would be my first choice.
Thursday 15 January 2009 9.33pm
The Double Bind sounds good to me too. Is it easily available? Great to see everyone last night and catch up on the Christmas/NY news.
Thursday 15 January 2009 10.32pm
The Double Bind sounds interesting too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 36

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions