London SE1 community website

SE1 Book Club 2009

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 36
Jac
Tuesday 10 February 2009 8.54pm
So still a tie between secret scripture and revolutionary road, more votes needed!

Plum I will be out of town friday but i should be around most of tomorrow if you want to pop round and pick it up
Wednesday 11 February 2009 12.56pm
to be honest i'd happily read any of them (heart of darkness is very good - a real classic). But if I say Revolutionary Road it means I wont be able to go see it at the cinema, so my vote goes with Secret Scripture
Wednesday 11 February 2009 1.42pm
Funny reasoning, Chustler. Why cant you go and see ReV.Rd in the cinema AND read the book? I thought the movie VERY good I must say. Everyone raving about Kate Winslet, but I thought Leonardo deCaprio was spectacular too.
Wednesday 11 February 2009 1.48pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Funny reasoning, Chustler. Why cant you go and see ReV.Rd in the cinema AND read the book?

Funny? well, maybe, but I suspect that it's more to do with the way I read - I end up with such vividly pictured characters in my head that to see someone else's interpretation (wrong hair, wrong face, wrong clothes etc) always spoils the book for me afterwards.
Thursday 12 February 2009 10.53am
So dash off and see the movie, and then you'll have Winslet and DeCaprio firmly in your mind...
Thursday 12 February 2009 11.59am
I don't mind changing my choice to either of the other two - I like the sound of Rev Rd, but I think my vote will have to go for Secret Scripture.

I'll just have to read Heart of Darkness on my own time.
Thursday 12 February 2009 1.27pm
You can even read it for free!
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/526
Sunday 15 February 2009 5.17pm
my vote is for Secret Scripture
Monday 16 February 2009 6.19pm
in anticipation of Secret Scripture being the most popular choice - maybe?? - i've just bought a copy on Ebay. so unless i hear differently, i'm going to make the assumption that it's the nominated book for april.
;o)
Monday 16 February 2009 11.09pm
So it is Secret Scripture then!
Current: 9 of 36

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions