London SE1 community website

Whisky Club

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15
Wednesday 18 February 2009 1.16pm
Laphroaig wrote:

Rules of Whisky Club:

1. There are no rules.

I can't remember the rest of the rules, possibly due to the lovely three different single malts I tried.

There was definitely at least one other rule but for the same reason, I can't remember it either. Maybe something about whiskey-drinking being optional? (as per the rules of book club!) and something about not feeling obliged to purchase the 10+ range of extra special single malts! ;o)
Wednesday 18 February 2009 1.40pm
Oh, that's right!

2. You don't have to drink whisky (but it's highly recommended to have at least one!).
3. If you are following the list on the board, you can skip the ones that cost over 5 if you want to.
Wednesday 18 February 2009 3.33pm
16-19 sounds good to me, and the rules are extremely sensible even though I might not want to skip the extra specials myself.....
Thursday 19 February 2009 3.45pm
My whereabouts are unpredictable - The Spanish Inquisition, you know - but I'm sometimes around from 9pm on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. So don't move dates to accommodate me. Mid-March is fine at present.
Monday 23 February 2009 8.57pm
See? - now I get what the fuss is about!

I was in The Britannia on Friday night for the first time in my 13 years in SE1.

What a top place!

Must be 100 different whiskies on sale - they have a big chalk board with each named and priced.

I asked the barman for the one on the top shelf, right at the back, behind 3 other bottles.

I then told him I was just kidding (how we laughed) - and had a Laphroaig, but only because they had no Talisker left, damn it.
Monday 23 February 2009 9.55pm
SJ (formerly Mr N) went for the last whisky on the list, perhaps it was the Talisker and he was responsible for finishing off the bottle. I started off in the D list, Dufftown I think, very nice.

Why not come along to the next meeting of the Whisky Club BSB!
Monday 23 February 2009 10.11pm
You are a very naughty girl - a temptress no less.

However, I have the breaking-strain of a Kit-Kat and will take you up on your splendid offer.

We should share a Quaich or two!
Monday 23 February 2009 10.54pm
Well I've just bought a jumbo pack of Kit-Kats from Tescos today.....

I like the idea of the Quaich, better inform Mr N though!
Tuesday 24 February 2009 10.55am
Laphroaig--what an excellent choice! ;-) You should try the first one on the list next time; it's quite smoky too. Please do come along to the next one. What says the group--how about the 19th of March? I think Sidi and David are going to join us as well.
Wednesday 25 February 2009 5.16pm
Hi, that's true we would like to join in, but on Thursday my future mother-in-law will arrive at the airport at 20.30h which would be in the middle of the evening..... Would it be possible for you on the 18th of March?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 15

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions