London SE1 community website

?!? SE1 Cider making 2009 ?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9
Friday 7 August 2009 3.20pm
Don't know if this is of any use but on Freecycle Merton (you can join) there is someone in wimbledon pk south with an apple tree that won't stop producing apples.
Wednesday 12 August 2009 11.27pm
I've helped out in previous years at a cider making / apple day / open day at One Tree Hill Honor Oak Park - bread baking in the cob oven, prepping the apples for the press, and drinking cider ..... but I always seem to have missed out on a taste of the cider that was then made :-) ..... so would be up for it.

Not sure if there's anything being done this year http://www.projectdirt.com/group/southlondonpermaculture

There's apple days around the country e.g. http://www.projectdirt.com/xn/detail/2004501:Event:20064

Though more traditionally Apple Day is at or around October 21st.

(and bye the bye, Oak Apple Day is not the same. It was established to celebrate / commemorate the restoration of Charles II - not necessarily an unalloyed event '.......for keeping of a perpetual Anniversary, for a Day of Thanksgiving to God, for the great Blessing and Mercy he hath been graciously pleased to vouchsafe to the People of these Kingdoms, after their manifold and grievous Sufferings, in the Restoration of his Majesty, with Safety, to his People and Kingdoms: And that the Nine-and-twentieth Day of May, in every Year, being the Birth Day of his Sacred Majesty, and the Day of his Majesty's Return to his Parliament, be yearly set apart for that Purpose.')

Here are some pix from One Tree Hill, on Apple Day 2005 October 22nd http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorrodp/sets/72157600748774449/
Thursday 13 August 2009 7.34am
At One Tree Hill/South London Permaculture, Merlyn would collect surplus apples from all over (South London, into Surrey, Kent etc), and others would bring bags along from their trees - so all went in - eating and cooking varieties, but I fancy not many traditional cider-making ones.
Thursday 13 August 2009 11.47am
Hi Dominic.

I joined in the 1 Tree Hill cider pressing once (2 yrs ago? or 3 yrs ago? not quite sure). It was a great afternoon. I was even lucky enough to taste some of their 2007 cider (at the 2008 Apple Day at Surrey Docks City Farm). It was very good. Eating-apple-cider at its appley best.

You'd be very welcome to come and join in with us this year, as would anyone else.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 13 August 2009 1.29pm
can I be of assistance again this year? As you may recall, my appel cutting skills are quite up to scratch ;o)
Thursday 13 August 2009 2.42pm
Yes please, Tattie. All SE1-ers welcome.

Maybe this could be the year that you bite the apple-shaped bullet and make some (on your own, not as part of Team Jac)?

Thursday 20 August 2009 4.07pm
I like being part of Team Jac or any other team really - that way I don't have to worry about where to keep the bottle (or whatever you call that glass thing), about forgetting to put that other stuff in the bottle or anything else that I can readily forget!!
Thursday 20 August 2009 8.25pm
Ah, but if you never make any yourself, you forfeit the thrilling music of a bubbling demijohn, warming the cockles of your ears all through the autumn and winter.

Friday 21 August 2009 10.29am
Should we have a cider meet up soon? If we're going to go ahead, then we need to make sure that we've got enough people who can commit time to doing the various jobs (picking up and returning the press, fetching the apples, etc).

I'm very keen to get involved and do my bit again, but if I'm going to be useful I probably need to get working on it right now. Ivanhoe Jnr is due quite soon, so I don't think I'll have much time to do cider organising unless we get a wiggle on now.

Friday 21 August 2009 10.51am
Sounds very organised, but is probably a good idea. Maybe the meeting should take place once school is back on so that there is a chance of having "maximum" attendance?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 2 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions