London SE1 community website

?!? SE1 Cider making 2009 ?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Wednesday 26 August 2009 3.34pm
This Sunday (30th) lunch then? at The Trinity (Borough High Street) at say, 1pm ish?

anyone interested in cider making welcome.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 4.25pm
See you there

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 4.27pm
Love to, but don't think I can make it on Sunday.....
Sunday 30 August 2009 10.20am
See you later

Sunday 30 August 2009 3.47pm
Surrey Docks City Farm Apple day is the 17th Oct ( http://surreydocksfarm.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=56 ) which is the same day Kath mentions as "Harvest Festival" day, Jon.

We could press that day, but it would mean that someone (in fact, two someones) would have to have the Friday off to pick up apples and a press (given that the apples and the press come from different places).

If we could press on the 18th, that would be easier, although probably not what Kath wants.

Monday 31 August 2009 2.24pm
I was just about to tell you the same thing.
I think we could go with the Saturday, we'd have more help from people attending the apple day, and there would be 'experts' there as well.

I don't mind taking the Friday off to pick up apples, and we only need one other person to help with that, and one other with a car to pick up the press/scratter, and we're all good.

I'll look into sourcing apples from my friend in Worcestershire again, and we could look into the idea about getting apples from Kent (conceivably, we could pick up press and apples in one go?)
Monday 31 August 2009 3.14pm
Hi, I can collect stuff in my car as long as it's during school hours on the Friday.
Message me through here if you want to chat on the phone about it.

Nicola
Monday 31 August 2009 3.27pm
Great stuff. I've just sent you an email Jon, but didn't read this msg first.

I can't take any more time off work, but if you and billiangel can do apples and press on the Friday, and we can get another volunteer to take the press back on the Monday, then we're good to go.

I'll call Mr Burns tomorrow and see if we can have the press for that weekend. And once we know that, I'll put up a proper post with a few more details.

billiangel - thanks for the offer of help. Really appreciated. Once we see whether we can get the press then I'll pm you and we can swap phone numbers and/or meet up properly.

CIDER IS GO!!!!

(Jon: aren't WE the "experts"? ;0))

Monday 31 August 2009 9.34pm
Have you explored the possibility of asking a seller at New Covent Garden Market to get some cider apples to sell to us on a special?

Just a thought as it's near by.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 2.44pm
ALL HAIL THE SE1 CIDERMAKERS' FRIEND, MR RICHARD BURNS!!!!!

Just spoken to Richard (who runs Cheers of Cheam, a fine man and a fine brewing shop which is a good plac eto pick up any fermenters/demijohns and sundries that anyone might need).

He remembers us, he still has a press and two scratters for hire, and he's booked them out for us to pick up on Friday 17th Oct and return on Monday 19th Oct, for 25.

I'll put up a proper post later, with some more details of what else we need to get sorted out, but couldn't wait to share this great news.

(@billiangel: your Cov Gdn idea is a good one, but after several years of trying, I'd eat my own cidermaking hat if they could source yer actual cider apples. There aren't many of them grown; nearly all the ones which are grown are already sold years in advance, or are spoken for in other ways; and on rare occasions when you do find some available, you either have to pick them yourselves - which we've done in the past but don't have time to do this year - or you have to pay someone so much to pick them for you that it's prohibitively expensive. We used desert and cooking fruit last year, and - largely because we got good clean fruit, imho - it made good cider. Using eaters and cookers is also the Southern tradition, which is another good reason to stick with that, to my mind. Plus, there are some apple trees in SE1 which are just begging to be picked and added into the mix.)

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions