London SE1 community website

?!? SE1 Cider making 2009 ?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9
Tuesday 8 September 2009 10.52am
If Ivanhoe can organise a van, then I'll need some company going to pick up apples, but someone with a car who can drive would be more help taking the press/scratter back to Cheam on the Monday.

when we hired two presses, and two scratters, it took me two journeys in my peugeot 306 to get all the gear back, but now we're only using one press, it is possible to do it all in one go.

I have yet to ring up my farmer friend in Worcester to arrange apples yet - I'll try to remember to do that this evening.

well done Jac on already having juice fermenting!
Saturday 12 September 2009 11.25pm
Need to check when kids half terms are. I would prefer to take time off when they are around. Though assume I can do Cheam in a morning. (Our car is not very big, or rather it is not a hatch back so a pain for transporting things.)

Will get back to you.
Sunday 13 September 2009 7.28pm
If Ivanhoe, can organise a van, Sarah can go to Cheam, and someone can keep me company when I go pick up apples on Friady 16th, then I think we have the majority of the major things sorted.

oh yeah, by the way, I've just spoken to my friends, and we've got apples! hurrah! mostly eaters, and desserts, but apples non the less!
Sunday 13 September 2009 8.54pm
Fantastic!

I'll get onto the van people ASAP

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 11.21am
Sarah, Cheam is about an hour away by car, the farm opens to the public at 10am, but open to the farm employees from 8am (which is what time I got there last time).
To ensure that we get full use of the time available we really need the press and scratter there first thing, so picking it up on the Friday afternoon would be preferable (the farm closes at 5pm) as I also don't know what time Richard in Cheam opens on Saturday morning.

I've spoken with the farm people, and they are very pleased that we are joining in with them for their harvest festival on Sat 17th.

[edited to add] Simon - I've sent you a pm and email at work.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 4.32pm
I've replied, Jon.

Friday 25 September 2009 9.37am
Jon

How many bags of apples will it be?

(I'll talk to the van people. In fact, I'll walk round with Mrs I - who always seems to get good deals, and we'll take the baby as well. See if we can't get a discount for loyalty, plus another one for newborn cuteness. I know it's 1/2 a tonne, but can't remember how many bags that was.)

Thanks.

Monday 28 September 2009 1.23pm
I think it was about 25 bags.

the tall van was too big, a smaller one (car sized chassis with tall roof) would have been ok
Tuesday 29 September 2009 10.39am
That's what I thought. Thanks Jon. We'll get on the case with a quote for a van.

Thursday 1 October 2009 2.56pm
so just to check that we're all on track

Ivanhoe is organising a van (you might need my driving licence details - I can email them to you)

Sarah(2?) is going to pick up scratter and press from Richard in Cheam on Friday 16th

Someone (maybe Jac) is going to accompany me to pick up apples on Friday 16th Oct.

We will be all be pressing apples to make juice (and eventually cider) on Saturday October 17th, at Surrey Docks City Farm, Harvest Festival.

Please reply if you're involved and this is not how you see things happening.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 6 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions