London SE1 community website

?!? SE1 Cider making 2009 ?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Tuesday 13 October 2009 11.28am
I am blown as travelling to Jordan sat pm now, so out of the equation. Have fun everyone :-)
Tuesday 13 October 2009 6.45pm
Didnt see the post til too late, and the parents thingy I was at overran.

I am still on for Monday. And we all plan to be there Saturday.

Can you give clear details of when it starts, where etc.

Perhaps a post on the main forum inviting everyone might be useful. (Not doing it as tired and going to bed.)
Tuesday 13 October 2009 9.35pm
Fantastic, thanks, Sarah. I'll do a post on the main board. Good idea.

Farm will be open from 9am on Sat. Say 10am start, and anyone who wants to turn up earlier will be welcome?

Have a think, everyone, about how much cider you might want to make. If you can say roughly how much on this thread, that would be helpful.

We now need someone for picking up the press on Friday.

Any volunteers? Billiangel had volunteered, but seems to have gone missing...

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 14 October 2009 4.13pm
Press-picking-up on Friday is now sorted....so we're all systems go!!!

Thursday 15 October 2009 9.43am
Won't be able to make it 10:00, but may pop around later....
Thursday 15 October 2009 11.57am
It'd be great to see you.

Sunday 22 August 2010 2.34pm
Is this happening again this year? We heard about it when we got our wine-making stuff from Cheam, and have a tree full of apples...
BTW, merlot vines seem to thrive in SE1!
Monday 23 August 2010 10.03am
It could certainly happen again....if enough people were keen enough to put in the time to make it work.

There are generally two areas that can cause a problem:

- picking up the apples, and picking up and returning the press, generally mean that two or three people have to volunteer to take a morning/afternoon off work

- the cost of press hire (even though the fantastic Mr Burns at Cheam always does a good deal for us), and van hire (to pick up apples) are fixed costs, which mean that unless we get a critical mass of people committing to take x gallons of juice then the cost per gallon can end up quite high.

I'd love it if we did it again this year. And I'd be able to provide some of the manpower and time commitment that we'd need. But it would depend on being able to get enough others to commit to do likewise.

Monday 23 August 2010 3.14pm
I'm with Ivanhoe on this. The first year or two there were lots of us, and it was fun, and the price was cheap, and the workload was not too onerous.
Last year, there was a lot less interest, and now that I've moved out of SE1, I'm less inclined if there's only going to be a few of us.

I do still want to make cider, but I have a garden now, so it'll probably be something I can do at home, rather than organising a big thing with Surrey Docks Farm.

I would imagine that Surrey Docks City Farm are having an apple day like usual, they allways need volunteers to help out.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 8.12pm
Thanks, I'll see whether the thread gets any more interest...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions