London SE1 community website

Do You Enjoy Cooking and Eating with Friends? Then why not come dine with us

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9
Tuesday 13 July 2010 9.44pm
Should have done this ages ago, so apologies. Thank you Jac for posting on my behalf. I have now regained use of my faculties after some serious drinking on the night. A very good time was had and thank you all for making it so.

Two things to add to Jac's report:
The wines for mains and dessert, if anyone is interested, were from a small local winery in Burgenland in Austria. Zweigelt and Blaufrankish. With our very delicious dessert we had Novemberlese.

We sadly burnt most of the crackling that went with the pork. But, apart from that mishap the dinner went very well, although in a blur of alcohol.

Looking forward to the next one. Any news on the July dinner?
Jac
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.52pm
CarissaKilgour wrote:
Hi,
I have enjoyed reading about this group. My other half and I live in SE1 and would really like to join this group if there is space.

Thanks
Carissa

Hi Carissa

We were full but one of our group seems to have disappeared without trace so may be able to fit you in and will certainly be able to add you to the reserves. I am really busy at work at the moment - the joys of being freelance - feast or famine but as soon as i get a chance i will send you more details (i am not at my own computer at the moment so do not have them to hand). In the meantime can you send me a private message with your email address so I can send them to you. Hope to meet you at a dinner soon.
Jac
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.54pm
sminky wrote:

Looking forward to the next one. Any news on the July dinner?

Your host for the July dinner should have contacted you by now. I do not have the rota to hand to see who it is but it might be a good idea to send them a quick email to ask what is happening.
Sunday 18 July 2010 12.46pm
The Cookies met on Friday for an evening of good food, wine and even a few songs around the piano (apologies to all of our neighbours).

Drappier champagne and olives

Pears poached in red wine with blue cheese and walnuts served with a 2009 organic rose "Les Restanques"

Chicken thighs with cherry tomatoes and baby potatoes served with 2008 Chablis (Chateaux Ligny) and a 2007 Julienes (Wine Society Exhibition)

Strawberry and blueberry sorbets served with a 2006 Austrian eiswein (Weinrieder) and a 2005 Muscat de Rivesaltes

A few wee drams of Caol Isla
Sunday 18 July 2010 5.17pm
Combined Dinner Party for the Cookies, Foodies and Winos.
As June and July were becoming difficult months to find a date, it was agreed to combine the Dinner Parties due to be held by the Jacs and Mr and Mrs R at The Nomads.
There were 10 of us enjoying a lovely evening of delicious food and wine and of course, company.
I hope I have included everything.

Nibbles and Wine(see Wine Course!)

Mozarella, Figs and Parma Ham with Basil and dressing.
Grilled Scallops with Proscuitto and lime and rocket.

Verdiccio dei Castelli di Jesi 2008, Terre Cortesi

Lemon and Herb Chicken in potatoes, Salad.
Moussaka and Greek Salad.

Val de Loir Reserve des Vignerons, Saumur 2008.
Prestige de Calvet Bordeaux, Semillon Sauvignon 2009.
Prestige de Calvet, Bordeaux, Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon 2008.

Pause for the Wine Course
Wairau Cove New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc 2009
Chianti Riserva San Colombano 2006

German Apple Cake with Kent Apples, Cream or Creme fraiche.

Rutherglen Muscat, Stanton and Killeen, Australia.

Walnut Cake (with liquor)
Strawberries.

El Candado (The Padlock) Valdespino Pedro Ximenez Sherry.

Cheeses from East Sussex and Biscuits.

Finest Reserve Port.

Coffee, Chocs and Mints.
Sunday 18 July 2010 7.14pm
Thanks for hosting Nomad, a thoroughly enjoyable evening. This 'tasting menu' idea might take off.
Sunday 18 July 2010 9.08pm
The rump group (AKA Gourmets) also met last night, to a full complement. We forgot we were hosting until mid week and it turned out the only night we could all do was Saturday, so all rather rushed but all rose to the ocassion and we had a lovely evening!

Nibbles of retro devils on horseback and our banker of anchovy twirls to a bottle of Moet, and the family bubbles from Michel-Gentilhomme. We were graced with the presence of the maker's son (Brice's nephew and Godson, Corentin Michel-Gentilhomme, so our personal thanks to all for embracing Corentin who is 17 and only arrived from Paris that afternoon).

The starter was a lovely salad of red endive with gorgonzola, pear and walnut, accompanied by a bottle of Marlborough Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc '09, and a Vinalba Torrentes from Herve Fabre.

Our main of roast ribs of beef with gratin dauphinoise, carrot pure, beans and provencal vine tomatoes, was matched with a Brouilly 2008 by Jean-Claude Lapalu and a Penley Estate, Phoenix 2007 Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon (purchased from Cave, the new outlet on Bermondsey Street).

The dessert of Lime, lemongrass, yuzu, ginger and vodka syllabub with a topping of fresh summer fruits was delicious and paired with two bottles of Johann Zechmeister, Novemberles 2005.

We had a few cheeses and found in the wine rack a bottle of Bourgueil 2000 from Thibault Michel (no relation!). Absolutely lovely evening. Thanks to all.
Mark
Jac
Sunday 18 July 2010 10.15pm
Wow a busy weekend for the Se1 dinner club and all the meals sound fabulous. If only I could go to them all, then again perhaps not my waist line is big enough already. Stamina award goes to UnaS and partner for doing two nights in a row.

No wonder we are getting a few enquiries from people interested in joining us, with menus that sound this good. It is a fabulous way to make new friends and enjoy good food and wine at the same time. New members are always welcome, although there may be a bit of a wait if we are mid rota do get in touch if you are interested.

Thanks to all those involved for your hard work in making this club a great success.
Monday 16 August 2010 2.28pm
The August Gourmets met for a very international evening on Saturday and after some nibbles and Cava to get us going, we went on to enjoy:

Very delicious lightly grilled figs and jamon with toasted sourdough bread
accompanied by a quite quirky and very enjoyable american (Oregon) white wine called Evolution and a bottle of Terrasses Rose from the Rhone valley

The main course was lamb niosettes with mushroom stuffing, redcurrant and blueberry sauce, new potatoes and broccoli
complemented by 2 bottles of a lovely Chateau Mondeau bordeaux (2006)

I think it was around this time that we had a little tasting interlude with a bottle of the newest, and very lovely, extra dry champagne from Brice's family's champagne vineyard, Michel-Gentlhomme

We then moved on to a fab trio of desserts of Kentish Summer fruits: Cherry Clafoutis, Chantilly Crème with redcurrants, and a port and blueberry sauce

We finished off the evening with some nice cheese and a bottle of vintage port

It was a great evening and hopefully an enjoyable first taste for the three new members in the group.
Sunday 22 August 2010 2.03am
an amazing dinner tonight. Gwn hosted at alison's Gorgeous starter. Yummy dinner and fab dessert. We're loving it. See you all soon. X
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 7 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions